Thread: Windows NT Domains & Trusting

Unhappy Windows NT Domains & Trusting

Hey All,

I'm currently building a "complex" network as part of subject I'm doing at Tafe. I've encountered a problem with the domain trusts, in that they won't work...

When attempting to add the trust and trusting domains under User Manager for Domains, it just gives me a message that it is unable to contact the PDC for that domain...

I can ping the Domain Controller across the network, so I know that the physical connection is good...

The setup is there are three domains, each on its own hub. These hubs are connected together with Cisco Routers...

Before the network was segmented, attempting to add the trusts didn't work, but it didn't say that it couldn't contact the PDC of that domain, just that the trust couldn't be verified.
    *I think that was the message.. I wasn't working on it at that stage, someone else was and they didn't record the error message*

Any help would be appreciated...

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Question

Hi Matty,

What Service Packs, if any are installed? If you can get an accurate error message it would help, especially if you get the error message number. Also, who were you logged in as?

If I remember correct, trusts between machines can be flakey at times on NT.

Let me know. I think we have some research here at the school I work at that might help. =)

If the team has been following the project plan, the PDC's of the domains all have Service Pack 6 128-bit installed.. I know for certain that the PDC that I was using had the service pack installed.....

I'm sorry about the flaky information, I only have access to the materials once a week, and I will not be able to get access to them till Thursday.... which I probably won't be able to make coz I have to go to a funeral..

The error message was
    "Unable to contact PDC of domain"
    There was no error number as far as I know.

I was logged on as Administrator...

I was hoping for any information that I could read over to give me even the slightest idea of what would be wrong so i could explain it to the other group members....

I'll try get some more detailed information if I can...

Any help is most greatly appreciated.....
    Matty Cross

Smile

Hiya Matty,

Usually there is an error that will appear in Event Manager with a #. It would be that error number that would be helpful. Since we don't have it, here are some links that might help in the meantime:

http://support.microsoft.com/support...SRCH&SPR=NTS40

If I run across anything else, I'll let ya know.

Thanx heaps MsMittens...
    *Feeling a bit stupid now for not thinking of checking the Event Viewer....

While I won't be able to access the systems for a while, the articles you provided have answered another issue that I was experiencing......

Talking

Hey Matty,

Don't feel stupid over not checking event viewer. We all make mistakes like that. Heck, there are times when I can't figure out why the machine won't boot and lo and behold, there's a disk inside.

Glad to hear that they were helpful in one regard. When you do get access, lemme know and we'll figure out what is the next step.