Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The future of Linux?

The future of Linux?

Hi, I was just reading an article about the future of Linux in the workplace. It stated that the OS may be phased out due to the level of support and ease of use. . I wish some of these companies would attempt to walk away from the big M and not be so afraid to get their feet wet with another OS. From the first day I brought home a Linux disc I fell in love with it. I was determined to learn the OS so i deleted my Windows and installed the Linux, OS. By doing that I had no choice but to learn it. On a lighter note, I see that sales and implimentation of other OS are on the rise. Maybe there is hope after all. Peace.

Long live the Penguins!

Jamie.

well this is going to come from someone who has little work with linux. you have to look at it from the persepective of a bussinessman. if you have 300 + comps that use windows, how much time and money would it cost to change the os. plus, you have to think about the moron(s) (no offense) end user that will have to learn a new os and new software. it's just not reasonable.

-havanger

Lightbulb Hp with *nix?

iread somewhere that Hp was looking into linux for its main os.....is that true? having a box already setup and configured? think of the possibilities.........tis more reliable ....names like Ximian.....come to mind....it looks jes like Outlook......i guess their trying to make it seamless......btw....who looks at the os anyways besides the techs? or helpdesk?

javaboy

phased out? I doubt that will happen.....countless servers are running linux right now, why would they even consider switching to a less stable, less secure, more expensive and overall crappier OS?
    Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune

Originally posted by Havanger
    you have to look at it from the persepective of a bussinessman. if you have 300 + comps that use windows, how much time and money would it cost to change the os.

Tell me how much it costs for 300 + Licences for Windows, Office etc etc. That cost alone is a big incentive for companies to consider alternatives,

Jamie.

Hmm not so sure about that. I heard that Linux is the fastest growing company in the world. Plus IBM said as soon as Linux proves reliable and that can handle big loads they said they would drop AIX in favor of Linux. And also aren’t they shipping those E and Z series servers with Linux on it?

Linux Magazine

The August issue of Linux Magazine (I WAS an avid reader of it) featured a Microsoft add in it. I believe the only reason why Micro$haft wanted to put an add in a linux mag is for the simple reason of corrupting newbies, people who just started learning linux. It's obvious that Micro$haft offered Linux Magazine an obscene amount of money for the add, but they lost MANY readers (like me) who're pissed off at Linux Magazine......
    “People don’t talk about anything.” [Clarisse]
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]
    “No, not anything. They name a lot of cars or clothes or swimming pools mostly and say how swell! But they all say the same things and nobody says anything different from anyone else. And most of the time in the cafes they have the joke-boxes on and the same jokes most of the time, or the musical wall lit and all the colored patterns running up and down, but it’s only color and all abstract. And at the museums, have you ever been? All abstract. That\'s all there is now...\"
    -A conversation with Clarrise McClellan and Guy Montag from Fahrenheit 451

Banned

Re: Linux Magazine

Originally posted by cF_nM
    The August issue of Linux Magazine (I WAS an avid reader of it) featured a Microsoft add in it. I believe the only reason why Micro$haft wanted to put an add in a linux mag is for the simple reason of corrupting newbies, people who just started learning linux. It's obvious that Micro$haft offered Linux Magazine an obscene amount of money for the add, but they lost MANY readers (like me) who're pissed off at Linux Magazine......
    Hopefully those at Micro$oft will not corrupt the true Linix users at Linux Magazine by handing out cash, theres a reason people put the $ in Micro$oft and this is a great example of this.

digim0rtal seems to have a few doubts about the future of Linux.

*Hmmm* It's only a matter of time before Linux (*NIX) reaches some critical mass, then great swathes of business managers will start buying into the OpenSource OS future.

Borland has made the first big step into making the Linux business systems a reality with their Kylix Rapid Application development tool. Personally I'm waiting for the C/C++ version rather than making do with Delphi(Pascal) before I part with $1,000. Borland's RAD tool allows timid VisualC++ GUI WindBlows developers to get stuckinto Linux with anger, rather than scaring them away with command line compilers like GNU C ... M$ Forkin whimps

There is a big 7million line OpenSource Office application in the pipeline for *NIX OS ... that will bring in the End-Users that seem to like the ease of use aspect of MicroSofts Wordprocessor Operating System *grin*. Many of you already know the advances made with consistant Window Manager front ends such as KDE and GNOME..

Microsoft know what's coming their way and I'm sure when all the cryings done and Microsoft OS is no longer with us (just a bad memory), they will offer one of the best Window Managers for the *NIX 'X Window system'.

Aside:-
    OpenSource OS allows more innovation and total reconfigurability. Works in all situations, covers a multitude of hardware platforms.

You can make the system as small as you like i.e. minimalist system can fit onto a couple of floppy disk.. Useful for Beowulf parallel clusters on 486's, realtime embedded controllers (no bloat), Multi-media home desktop PC, Business Networked Solutions (Office PC), High-End Internet Servers/Routers/Gateways etc etc

PZ
    Serious number crunching is done with UNIX