Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What would you do without a computer?

I'd be writing my programs with a good old fashioned pencil and paper.
    LMAO. That's how I learned to write perl.

I probably wouldn't do much different. I'd just spend more time on all my current projects that don't involve computers. As for TV, about the only things I ever watch are The Simpsons, and That 70's Show, so I wouldn't miss it.

For books, I'd recommend Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time Series. The first book in the series is called The Eye of the World.

thats easy

Id quit masturbating as much...hmmm....my arm gets kinda tired after a while anyways...

Banned

Re: thats easy

Originally posted by tripstone
    Id quit masturbating as much...hmmm....my arm gets kinda tired after a while anyways...
    Ennis moves his monitor slowly away from the direction of tripstone.

Well...

For starters I'd probably start masturbating more...more free time with free hands! :-)

Life without computers wouldn't be so hard. I'd still have my guitars, my air gun, and my obsession with motorbikes to keep me busy. Not to mention the obvious one...women...who would quite possibly look twice at me if it wasn't for my pallid complexion (the legacy of too many consecutive weeks in front of one CRT or another) and general unfitness (ditto).

Also, I'd probably start being able to interact normally with human beings again. Example conversation in a pub:

Stranger: "Hi. What's your name, by the way?"
    Freon: "Freon, er, Maxint, er, Geoff - no, Geff."
    Stranger: "Uh, ok. How are you?"
    Freon: "Well, TMSUITK 2.2 has this bastard core leak bug that I just can't seem to track down - think it's when it allocates core for the window stack, but it seems to have something to do with drawing shadows on message box dialogs that are more than seventy-eight columns wide. And TE3 keeps seg faulting when it's trying to run the byte code compiler over sections of code that require dynamically loaded extensions. Hmm, and I have to update FLoF so I guess I'm pretty stressed - not to mention the -"
    Stranger: "Uh, yeah, great. Want a drink?"
    Freon: "I - uh - I - uh - Yeah, pint - anyway, actually, no, got to go home, just remembered I think my P75 box is running kerneld and it's a 2.2 kernel, so I better be going. I'll be back later, maybe."
    Stranger: "Uh, yeah, sure. Whatever."
    Freon: "You know, you don't need to run kerneld if you're -"
    Stranger: "Just piss off if you're going to, you bloody geek!"
    Freon: "Um, OK sure..." (leaves the room muttering 'defocus' and shaking his head)

As for television...I don't have one of /those/ horrible things anyway... (he lied, knowing full well the entire time he had a black and white beast of a TV hooked up to the RF output of his BBC Model B...)

- Freon
    NightKingdoms Progressive
    http://www.nightkingdoms.net/
    \"Circumventing the limitations of technology\"

I WOULD INVENT A COMPUTER?

duh...
    \"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.\"

Speaking of inventing a computer...

Well obviously I don't mean invent as such when I say that...that's been done. But wouldn't it be an interesting project to try to build one from separate logic gates? Just a simple 4-bit processor...it wouldn't be useful, but it would be cool. Or perhaps you could allow yourself to stretch to relatively simple integrated circuits like multiplexers and decoders, just for practicality's sake...implement the RAM using flip flops...and have buses made of bellwire...I/O in the form of a bunch of switches and some LEDs...

I don't have enough time to kill right now, but I'm sure this could be a fun project for someone who has! The idea appeals, anyway. The spirit is willing, but the mind is weak :-)

- Freon

Thumbs down

Another one of these pointless posts........

Thumbs down

Another one of these pointless posts that all the usual idiots reply to.......

Well, I have three things to say to that!

First off, I don't see that this post is that much more pointless than any of the other ones I've seen so far on this board. If you'd like to point me in the direction of one of those alternative, earth-shattering, striking posts you're comparing it to, I might well reconsider the pointlessness of this one.

Secondly, I don't see quite how you can refer to me as a 'usual idiot' since I've just signed up for this account and only been here a couple of days in a real, active sort of sense. I find that fairly offensive; if you weren't including me in that group, you should have explicitly excluded me. If you were including me as one of those aforementioned 'usual idiots' you're as stupid as you are childish.

And finally - funny how it's idiots that replied to it in a co-operative, fairly entertaining sense, while you felt the need to post two messages just to poke fun at us. You are precisely the kind of ******* I expected to meet on AntiOnline, according to my first impressions of you. Thank god your species is smaller in number than I anticipated, or I would have left here long ago.

There are some people who're using this forum primarily for entertainment, rather than to change the world. I have this funny feeling we're not the ones making a nuisance of ourselves or expecting miracles or barking up the wrong tree entirely.

Entertainment we seek, and entertainment and a few minutes diversion we got. Please try to be more tolerant of people who aren't armchair revolutionaries or elite hax0rz like your good self in future, if you'd like to do me an enormous favour.

Jeez, if you can't play nice at your age, just imagine what you're going to be like in ten years time...

So much bitterness for such a little man.

- Freon

Hey there Freon

I can see already that you are going to be a great help and enjoyment around here. That's why I like this place so much...people like you make this place good enough to go to. I used to go to #linux...trying to get help there is like getting stuck in a traffic jam....wondering when everything is going to get moving forward....I appreciate your maturity and wisdom...hope to see you around for awhile...it'll be fun talking to and learning from you...see ya around bud