Thread: Which Language Next

Which Language Next

HI FOLKS,
    I ALREADY HAVE A GOOD KNOWLEDGE OF C (POINTERS,DATA STRUCTURES,LINUX PROGRAMMING AND UNIX NETWORK PROGRAMMING) AND C++..I FELT IT WAS TIME THAT I TRIED A NEW LANGUAGE..BUT I AM IN DOUBT WHETHER TO START WITH JAVA OR VC++..I KNOW JAVA IS PLATFORM INDEPENDENT AND THAT IT IS THE LANGUAGE OF THE NET..BUT WILL IT BE REPLACED BY C#..FURTHER IF I GO TO STUDY VC++,THOUGH APPEALING, I WILL BE STUCK UP WITH ONE PLATFORM,WINDOWS..
    I COULD SURE USE A FEW TIPS AND GUIDANCE FROM EVERYONE HERE..

WITH REGARDS
    SCORPION

Perl is a great language, very robust and you can do many things with it,as an example - here's bit of code that would take all the files in a directory and change them to lower case (useful if your moving from IIS to apache, but there's a hidden point here as well ;-)

#!/usr/bin/perl
    foreach(<*>) {
    $file1 = $_;
    $file2 = lc($file1);
    system("mv $file1 $file2");
    }

Just learn vc++ and assembler and then will be the right time for you to make a new OS.
    If God had intended
    Man to program,
    we would be born
    with serial I/O ports.

i also recommend perl, and assembly i have heard is also good,
    i also recommend delphi5, which is very good quick and easy, but it does restrict the OS your using
    \"I am convinced that societies which live without government enjoy an infinitely greater degree of happiness than those who do.\" Thomas Jefferson