Thread: networking

networking

My dad wants to buy a switch/router/hub....what one would you guys suggest for personal home use? Best value, cost, and speed?
    “People don’t talk about anything.” [Clarisse]
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]
    “No, not anything. They name a lot of cars or clothes or swimming pools mostly and say how swell! But they all say the same things and nobody says anything different from anyone else. And most of the time in the cafes they have the joke-boxes on and the same jokes most of the time, or the musical wall lit and all the colored patterns running up and down, but it’s only color and all abstract. And at the museums, have you ever been? All abstract. That\'s all there is now...\"
    -A conversation with Clarrise McClellan and Guy Montag from Fahrenheit 451

what do you need it for?

Well...

SMC makes awesome routers with a built in hardware firewall, the only downfall is that they are really expensive. If your loking for a more well rounded price I suggest trying out an Addtron (www.addtron.com), Netgear (www.netgear.com), or a Linksys (www.linksys.com). At the shop I work at we use a SMC and a Addtron, both are vey easy to setup and even easier to maintain.
    Risk everything, or gain nothing.

Netgear makes wonderful hubs and switches. Go with a switch instead of a hub if you can (full-duplex, man). As far as routers, I would definitely go with the Linksys. I use a Linksys model BEFSR11 if you want a reference. They also make a 4-port version, which is the BEFSR41, which should take care of your router AND switch needs if you're running a small enough network.

thx

we're looking for a high end switch/router....money isn't really too important..........
    “People don’t talk about anything.” [Clarisse]
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]
    “No, not anything. They name a lot of cars or clothes or swimming pools mostly and say how swell! But they all say the same things and nobody says anything different from anyone else. And most of the time in the cafes they have the joke-boxes on and the same jokes most of the time, or the musical wall lit and all the colored patterns running up and down, but it’s only color and all abstract. And at the museums, have you ever been? All abstract. That\'s all there is now...\"
    -A conversation with Clarrise McClellan and Guy Montag from Fahrenheit 451

if money's not important get a cisco - something in the catalyst range.

Originally posted by petemcevoy
    if money's not important get a cisco - something in the catalyst range.
    I agree, but don't blow your money on something you're not going to need, even if money's not that important. I have a cheapie Netgear 10/100 8 port switch, but Netgear makes wonderful network equipment. Don't judge the quality by the price.