Thread: telnet help!

Smile telnet help!

Hey all!
    Well you could say I'm a newbie, although I have suficient knowledge of computers and multimedia. And I was just wondering if anyone could help me out with telnet. I've been tryin telnet in windows from cmd, but it never successfully connects. bawling I was wondering if it is just m$ windows or somthing else that was causing this. Im running Windows 2000 Pro, on a 56k modem. I have Norton Internet Security and Blackice defender running. Is it possible that one or both of these programs could be causing the connection failure? If so how do i stop this?
    Well thanks in advance.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Talking

Hi morfius,

Are you sure that the site you're trying to telnet to is up and running?When you use the telnet what is the exact syntax that you are typing?

It's possible that both Norton's and BID are blocking telnet. You have to enable outbound connections. Generally they shouldn't be blocking things but you may have them set to paranoid and thus, they'd probably prevent it. Check to see that you are enabling outbound access to port 23.

Anyways, hope this helps.

Exclamation Here you go

Ok yeah with telnet for windows, if youre using the 98 edition you get the original cool one with a GUI interface.Even though 2000 doesn't have it. Most of the time It will get hunk up, and somtimes it will even say couldn't connect to host. Try looking up for Terminal Emulation Applications.

For example if you go to download.com you can get Putty.exe which is great. Absolute Telnet which is ok. ZOC i really like because you can run programs with ease. There are alot more but I strongly recomend using a different telnet application.

What Ms Mittens was saying is correct if you have a firewall up like Norton you have to allow out going connections. So you can telnet, or else you will get error messages. Set them so you can still block incoming, but so you can make an outgoing connection.
    90% of the time it will be your firewall.

Hope it helps, I strongly recomend geting putty.

You might also want to run a trace route on the address your trying to telnet as something may be blocking your connection elsewhere. I experienced this where my old ISP had blocked telnet the telnet port on the server *dodgy backyard ISP's*...

In cmd, simply type
    tracert <address>

Nice n simple tracert.. although not very pretty...

If you want a pretty one, get your hands on a copy of NeoTracePro, which also gets other information for you at the same time....

Hope that helps

Unhappy

Hey thanks for the help people!
    Although I've learnt a few bits and pieces from your replies, it still hasn't solved my problem!
    I even tried shutting down Norton Internet Security and Blackice Defender, but that both didn't stop the failed connection. I then downloaded Putty but that still didn't work. When I tried to connect with Putty, it just said connection refused or something like that.
    Is it my internet connection? My version of M$ win2000? Or is it my version of M$ Telnet Client. (the build number is 5.00.99203.1)

The actual msg it gives back to me when i try to connect through M$ telnet client is :Connecting To *ip address*...Could not open a connection to host: Connect failed
    and I always seem to be getting this message. If anyone knows what could be happening please tell me. Are there any tutorials out there?

well thanks anyway for reading...

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Unhappy

Hrmm. Have you tried telneting from another OS? That error is usually indicative of the server (the place you are telnetting to) not having telnet access available. Are you sure it is on? Perhaps they have a firewall that's preventing access? Perhaps they have ping turned off? (Telnet sorta needs ping)

Talking

Ok.. if you disabled both programs..

and you are attempting to telnet and its not working its because of two things...

One.. (Is the server your connecting to on a different port?)

two.. (The server is down.)
    ------------EViLSEED
    Hackers are impervious. Resistant is futile.

What type of OS are trying to telnet too? Perhaps the inetd has been disabled on the Server you are trying to connect too. Also try to telnet to IP specific instead of hostname, if you haven't tried that already.
    Regards,
    Geno

\"Disciples, like diamonds, are developed in a process of time and heavy pressures, and both the disciple and the diamond reflect and magnify the light that comes through them.\"

Neal A. Maxwell