Thread: Most Secure OS

Most Secure OS

Ok Which OS is the most secure out of all of them. Voice your opinion try to keep it calm but please get into a war, stand up for your favorite Operating System. Don't let people push your OS around. Explain why it is the most secure and how others are not.

I'm not going to go out of the Windows family for this one, but there are non-Windows OSs that are more secure. Windows 2000 is the most secure in my opinion basically because it's designed for the network environment. You can't have a professional grade OS that's designed to sit on a network or on the internet that's not at least moderately secure. Bill Gates would be hanged.

Not sure the microsoft forum is the right place to ask such a question! but this looks pretty tight http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/
    I'm downloading it at the moment so if anyones interested how it goes, tell me and i'll post some more info.

In my opinopn there is nothing more scure than the BSD distributions of OpenBSD.

^^^Can u tell me how to install the nsa linux on my new installed Suse Linux 7.3? thx

cu
    boomi

As far as i can tell from the website, security enhanced linux is for red hat based distros, i've recently switched to all debian (apt-get rocks!) but i'm setting up a mandrake box to try this out.
    It seems to be just a matter of recompiling the kernel, if your gonna try it on your suse box (big ups yourself for supporting your native distro!) i'd make sure you're prepared for the consequences of a botched kernel compile, other than that -rtfm.

Banned
    Originally posted by boomi123
    In my opinopn there is nothing more scure than the BSD distributions of OpenBSD.

Goota agree FreeBSD is pretty secure and of course Windows 2000 is the most secure Windows OS.

Originally posted by boomi123
    I second that!:
    The main goal of OpenBSD is to have the most secure (and free) OS around... They acheive that by auditing their code for security weaknesses, shipping in secure default config, shipping with strong crypto (free* of export laws cuz based in Canada) (ex: they ship with ssh installed, blowfish encryption for passwords and etc.)...

However, the obsd community is not as forthcoming as linux... you're expected to do you're homework before asking...

Ammo

*Some restrictions apply! Consult small print for details