Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ok, need help

ok, need help

i was setting up a cox @home cable modem installation on a sony running xp. i could connect to the internet when i went straight from the cable modem to the nic, but when i stuck the firewall in between i never could get it connected to the internet. it is a linksys firewall and the setup page is 192.168.1.1, when i went into setup everything looked right except it had 2 boxes that it said were required by some ISPs. they were domain server and (i forget exactly what the other one was) ? home server?. xp doesn't come with winipcfg, i went to the dos prompt and used ipconfig /all and ipconfig /renew but i never could find out what those servers were. when we called the ISP the tech would not give us those server names and said he could get fired for doing that. is there any utility that i can use to find those server names? any help is greatly appreciated.
    Bradley Lamar

Try telnetting to the box(via IP). Perhaps if you get a login prompt, it might reveal a hostname. Does nslookup not work?
    Regards,
    Geno

\"Disciples, like diamonds, are developed in a process of time and heavy pressures, and both the disciple and the diamond reflect and magnify the light that comes through them.\"

Neal A. Maxwell

I don't think that's the problem. If the ISP required that info, they would give it to you. Something I would suggest on a hunch is to check the DHCP status of the router. Make sure DHCP is enabled (or disabled, whichever you intend), and make sure the TCP/IP protocol is configured the same on the NIC. If you choose to set the router up to be on static IP instead of dynamic, make sure to add the computer's IP in the static routing table in the router. Also try adding the router's IP as the primary DNS server in the NIC configuration. If the option is there, also check "enable IP forwarding".

Ok a simple explanation is that it is XP's personal firewall in order for you to have another firewall on top of that you have to change the settings or maybe even delete it. Some people have similiar problems with zone alarm and tiny personal firewalls.

My friend had deleted the firewall and was able to put ZA back on for me and have no problems. So that's what I would check out.

Originally posted by freeOn
    Ok a simple explanation is that it is XP's personal firewall in order for you to have another firewall on top of that you have to change the settings or maybe even delete it. Some people have similiar problems with zone alarm and tiny personal firewalls.

My friend had deleted the firewall and was able to put ZA back on for me and have no problems. So that's what I would check out.
    That doesn't make sense. Linksys is not a software firewall that you install on your machine. Granted Linksys routers have firewalls, you don't install the firewall on your machine. Hence, there should be no conflict.

damn.. totally messed up on that one.

Have you tried hooking it up to another computer that's not running XP.

Re: ok, need help

Originally posted by bradleylamar
    ...when i went straight from the cable modem to the nic, but when i stuck the firewall in between i never could get it connected to the internet. it is a linksys firewall and the setup page is 192.168.1.1, when i went into setup everything looked right except it had 2 boxes that it said were required by some ISPs. they were domain server and (i forget exactly what the other one was) ? home server?
    Is your hardware firewall set to have a static IP? Most @home providers give out dynamic ips and use DHCP servers. DHCP is a must in order for you to browse the internet (I think it's the default on XP so that's why XP works).

192.168.1.1 is just an internal ip address that I'm sure your firewall gives your computer when you are connected.

As for a domain server - I'm pretty sure you're not logging on to a domain server. That just wouldn't make sense.
    - Stronzo

\"Vini, Vici, Vidi\"
    I came, I saw, I conquered.
    - Julius Caesar

Well

Make sure your static ip is set as the primary DNS server in the router and set your workgroup on your PC to @home. Also check to make sure TCP/IP is used as the default protocol.
    Risk everything, or gain nothing.

Well if everything else fails i would check that router configuration one more time. Also try to put routers ip address in a default gateway option in TCP/IP. Also make sure you add ip for your DNS server. Well i hope this helps. I never installed cable modem before but i do run router on my isdn dialup i figure basics are the same

the router is set to use dhcp, so i dont need to enter in any of the static addresses. also yes, tcp/ip is the default protocol. no i didn't get to try it on another computer besides xp bc this is a customers computer i was working on. anyone else got an idea?
    Bradley Lamar