*ANTI-TERRORISM ACT APPROVED
    By SWD Staff
    President George W. Bush Friday signed into law a sweeping anti-terrorism
    act that makes certain computer crimes acts of terrorism with severe
    penalties. The Provide Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and
    Obstruct Terrorism Act, now known as the Patriot Act, also gives
    authorities much more latitude in tracking suspected criminals' telephone,
    e-mail and Internet use by requiring only court notification, rather than
    approval for certain surveillance activity.

"As of today, we're changing the laws governing information sharing. And
    as importantly, we're changing the culture of our various agencies that
    fight terrorism," Bush said during a signing ceremony Friday. "Countering
    and investigating terrorist activity is the No. 1 priority for both law
    enforcement and intelligence agencies."

Among the USA Patriot Act's provisions is a new definition of terrorism,
    which now includes computer hacking. Such crimes now covered under the new
    law include unleashing malware that can destroy critical infrastructure
    systems, hacking into a government system and damaging Internet-connected
    computers. The act, created in the wake of the Sept. 11 tragedies, also
    defines "cyberterrorism" to include computer crimes that cause at least
    $5,000 in damage or destroy medical equipment.

In addition, biometrics will be increasingly used to identify visa holders
    trying to enter the United States. More federal agents also will be
    trained in new computer forensics labs used to seize and intercept
    evidence related to cyberterrorism.

The most contentious provisions deal with surveillance. Civil liberties
    groups were among those who questioned the broader search and seizure
    powers allowed by the USA Patriot Act, believing it to be more of an FBI
    wish list than a legitimate means of stopping terrorism. Under certain
    circumstances, police can now search homes and offices without a court
    order or ever notifying the subject of the inquiry.

It also allows the FBI to more liberally use DCS 1000 wiretap technology,
    previously called Carnivore, to capture suspects' Web browsing habits and
    e-mail correspondence without a judge's order.

To help allay privacy advocates' fears, Congress set a December 2005
    expiration date for certain provisions. But the sunset clause also allows
    renewal if circumstances warrant it.
    http://www.epic.org/privacy/terrorism/patriot_sec.pdf
    http://www.cpsr.org/issues/ICACComments.html

I have to give rights to my uncle for sending this to me, thanks.

Banned
    The world of technology is changin freeOn and we will have to live with it. I know this a harsh act but if you are not a malicious hacker you have nothing to worry about, right.

Anyone have any further views on the subject at hand.

"It also allows the FBI to more liberally use DCS 1000 wiretap technology,
    previously called Carnivore, to capture suspects' Web browsing habits and
    e-mail correspondence without a judge's order."

God bless America! God bless the 4th Amendment!

Unhappy I Respectfully Disagree

The world of technology is changin freeOn and we will have to live with it. I know this a harsh act but if you are not a malicious hacker you have nothing to worry about, right.
    I respectfully disagree with you...not because I am effected by the bill...because of the overall principle.

In my personal opinion the goverment is using the incidents that occured on September 11 as a means to pass laws that intrude on our civil liberties. After the incidents, the people demanded answers & solutions...the goverment has deceptively responded with laws such as the Patriot Act. If the attacks against the US had not occured, bills such as the Patriot act would not have been passed. I think the demand for answers & solutions resulting from crisis creates dangerous situations. And sure this "Patriot Act" may not affect you...but it is just one more step the goverment has taken to intrude on our freedoms. Maybe THIS bill doesn't affect you, but what about the NEXT one?

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    -Benjamin Franklin
    Simon Templer

\"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it. \"
    -The Buddha

Banned

well in my oppinion (and i just got out of the Army DIOM [that Department Of Information Management]) its just a way to make whats already done, legal for use in court and try and scare newbies. it was a well known fact that the army is atleast slightly worried about crackers... c'mon we put an article on the frontpage of the post newspaper telling people to protect their passwords

LoggOff, I agree with you I spent 5 years in the NAVY on a ship with outboard you know what I mean. We have been doing this for a long time...people just don't know.

I've posted on this before, so sorry if I'm repeating myself.
    The situation here in the UK is that the government is allowed to intercept all emails & record all internet activity, without any court order (under the RIP bill which was passed here last year). In fact they require UK based ISPs to install hardware/software to allow this to take place.
    I've no objection to any government acting against computer hacking, or for targetting suspected terrorists.
    But this is setting a very dangerous precedent, as it opens the door to a police state (why does a govenment want to read every email, and track every site that anyone has visited, without requiring any permission from a legal body?).
    I must admit I was slightly surprised that your bill was passed, as I would have thought it violated parts of your constitution.
    I always use the analogy that sending an email is like sending a postcard - it's likely that nobody will take any notice, but how do you know that your local postman won't be reading all the interesting personal stuff on it
    So use some sort of encryption if you want to send anything that you don't want a stranger to read. Probably won't stop the government breaking it if they feel like it, but at least it will protect you from anyone who has managed to hack one of the ISPs that your email will pass through.

Smile

Hey Thor: Navy hey? Ex Navy here also, Frigate sailor for six long years.
    Well it's beginning to look like the terrorists have won the first round of this, over the days of my life I have watched the slow erosion of civil liberties all in the name of protecting the few. the passing of this new law will only result in more centralized control of the fed. Simon seems to have the right idea on this one. Benjamin Franklin and our founding fathers had some ideas on all of this bunk that is currently going on, they disagree with what our current crop of lawmakers are doing. Whiz bang intelligence and foresite do not come along very often......
    KNOWLEDGE IS OF TWO KINDS: We know a subject ourselves or we know where to find information upon it. SAMUEL JOHNSON

AntiOnline Senior Member
    It is a violation of privacy... Even though I am not a hacker and don't need to worry. It starts there and ends up the the government monitoring everyones Internet Activity.

Exclamation hacking isnt a crime it's an exploration

Hacking is only a crime if your a dark side hacker but if you log in and look around, learn a few things your just as much a terrorist as a baby in a crib "A hacker is only someone that wants to expand their knowlage past what athority will allow"-Me NetwrkBurn of B@NE