Thread: Computer Freeze

Question Computer Freeze

AfterI had upgrade my HDD to a 30GB 7200RPM Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 60 HDD
    I reinstall the Window (Ewin98 SE, Win2000)

Both of them got the same problem. IF I play some huge MP3 and Fastforward them all the time, it freeze up all the time

For Mpeg, don't care how big or small, it always freeze if I play that more 1 min or if I fastforward it!

Sometimes, too much work wll freeze right away too!

P3 800 EB
    128SD RAM
    ATI AIW Pro 128 Video
    SoundBlaster Live Value
    Abit SA6R MB

hey there

did ya check for any device conflicts?

Hrmmm

Are the .mpg files with or without sound? I'm wondering if you try to play one with sound does it freak out? If so then its a sound card problem. If it gives you a problem sound or not it sounds like (no pun intended) a device conflict, or driver error. Try going to www.ati.com or www.soundblaster.com and getting the newest drivers.
    Risk everything, or gain nothing.

What media playing are you using? Sometimes that can make a huge difference.

But it really sounds like something isn't configured right. Have a look in device manager and see if your display adapter and hard disk controller is configured correctly. Like tripstone pointed out these devices will let you know if they are in conflict with any thing else.

Also ensure that your read-ahead optimization is set to "full"

specify please

what freezes exactly? Windows (please clarify if Win98 or Win2K or dual boot)and/or the media player(and which one)? Was it an upgrade from 98 to 2k? I've never personally ran into that prob...yet...ummm...so yeah check that there aren't any dma (if any), I/Q, mem, and/or I/O channels conflicting...by the way...please read my post I will have a question as well...it will be titled help tripstone....hope you get your problem resolved

Shmoo
    goto start > windows update. Or check up on the lastest drivers. How much RAM you got buddy?

i think i know what it is

most likely your dma channel for the sound card and the hard drive are the same. i don't really know how to change the dma in windows but there are programs you can download to do it. i use one that came with my mobo.
    Bradley Lamar

Make sure you have a current version of DirectX.

Get it here
    KapperDog