View Poll Results: What should people who whine about "abusive" users do?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shut the hell up and deal with it?

6 31.58%
  • Warm a bottle and go sit in the corner?

6 31.58%
  • Just leave if you can't handle it?

3 15.79%
  • Quit your gawd damn bitching nobody cares what you think...

4 21.05%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there many women in here ?

You know what sucks being a tech guy, at the end of the day (or anytime for that matter), no one wants to here about that program/bug you're working on or that that new firewall/ids box you've just set up is just so paranoid and you think it's cool...
    Heck, I can't even talk (with my father who's in comps too) about it at the dinner table without getting "not that boring crap again" looks from my sisters and mother...

Anyways... just had to get that off my chest!

Ammo
    so true.. i wish i could talk with my gf about this stuffs without boring her.
    When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sherlock Holmes

i am NOT a hacker :Þ

Unhappy

Even when a simple question like 'are there any females here' gets a simple 'yes' answer, would you believe the one posting it without questioning back if their answer is true or not ?

The veil of the unseen makes almost two thirds the revelations of personal aspects suspect. There is much too much going on in the electronic shadows to warrant complete naked trust when someone gives clues about their body's existing state

Curio greets you

(would you really believe me if I told you I was a female ? If of course I were to say so. Conjecture of course )

Cool

Originally posted by ammo
    You know what sucks being a tech guy, at the end of the day (or anytime for that matter), no one wants to here about that program/bug you're working on or that that new firewall/ids box you've just set up is just so paranoid and you think it's cool...
    Heck, I can't even talk (with my father who's in comps too) about it at the dinner table without getting "not that boring crap again" looks from my sisters and mother...

Anyways... just had to get that off my chest!

Ammo
    Well, I'm lucky. My bestfriend, which is a guy, is the one that got me into IT and Security. So, I have him to talk to about all of this. But I totally understand about not having someone to talk to though or boring people. My boyfriend is like "whatever" when I'm trying to tell him about something that I found and I'm all excited about it. He just looks at me like I'm weird. So, he works Shut Downs in Mills, and trys to tell me about his work too, and I'm the same, "whatever". So, we just don't talk about our work to each other. We just say if we had a good day or a bad day, basically. Then we find other things to talk about. But when I get excited about something and need to talk to someone about it, i call my bestfriend. He totally understands. Maybe that's why he doesn't have a girlfriend. He keeps saying that he wants to find someone that is into Computers, a cool chick is what he says. hehe
    But that sounds like the best advise, find an IT person and if you think that they are cool date them. Then you'll have someone to talk to.

I'm getting married this weekend to a girl I met online years ago. Even tho we both like computers, I still run into that problem where she's not interested when I start talking about them.

Hehe.. lets start "Geeks and Techies anonymous"

Ammo

Talking i hang out with the boys....

I've been a female for nearly 22 years... and I've loved every moment of it!!!!! Then again, why shouldn't I? My biggest problem in my last relationship was that my ex was and still is computer illiterate!!!!!! That is frustrating when you are afraid to talk over someone's head and that even if they act interested that they really just want you to shut up. I still keep in touch with two online chat buddies that I used to chat with in highschool over irc. Visited one of them twice and they came to visit me once. Still haven't met my other friend, but I've known both of them for nearly 6 years now.

i'm female.

i like 'geeky' guys......most geeky guys that i've met aren't superficial in the slightest....they check your brain, then they look for boobs.....and if you have both, bonus!

I'm a girl as well, and have enjoyed reading the posts on this thread. Hurrah!...agh... uh.. okay.

Women and IT

Most of you probably have already figured this out, but I think the reason there are few women in IT is that unless we have a role model (a male or female relative in IT) it is not normally a field which a lot of women naturally feel drawn to for various reasons.

In my own experience, computers (PCs) were not available to me until I was out of college. I didn't grow up learning how to build things and take them apart. Heck, my husband and father STILL insist on doing any upgrades on MY computers and they aren't exactly proficient at it either. No one took my interest in computers very seriously until I started creating applications and (hesitantly) showing them to consultants at work. Internet has been the most helpful source of help. I have been lucky to find a lot of people, mostly men, who encouraged my learning and pointed me to other resources. I think that is very cool.

Noo! You should've let the thread sink into obscurity... but NOOO... now they'll all be scared away by our confessions of geeky wishful thinking! Gender is (among others) *the* defining role online... the most basic fact we try to ascertain about others, more than age, profession, or race. It must be a 'gender roles' thing...

Anyone else read the Player vs Player 'geek dating service' storyline and how it went awry? :P
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency