Thread: Cold Lasagne and a question....

Cold Lasagne and a question....

As I sit here, eating my cold lasagne, I ponder a question,...

I have an assignment.... the teacher chose this assignment, saying it would be the most challenging for the class....
    This assignment, has a Windows NT 4.0 PDC.... with a Windows 2K.. BDC......

Is this actually possible, or am I correct in thinking that I should smack this teacher upside the head....

Give me your thought, or not.....

no frogurt involved in this thread...

I'd smack them, b/c there is no such thing as a BDC in Win2k. Win2k uses Active Directory (AD), and only recogizes Domain Controllers, not Primary/Backup.

A Win2k DC cannot exist in a native NT 4.0 environment b/c NT uses the SAM database for it's account managment and Win2k uses AD. When attempting to add the Win2k box to the NT domain you'd receive a message like "Win2k cannot be part of a domain, would you to install active directory and ............. blah blah blah blah"

However, the Win2k machine can exist in the 4.0 domain as a member server (file/print/web/etc)

Hope this helps,
    Pr3shuR
    ----------
    always

Thanks Pr3shuR,

I was pretty sure that was the case, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't mistaken....

If anyone has any tidbits, such as a hidden microsoft way to make a 2k server a bdc, please feel free to post.. I would luv it...

Now if you would all excuse me, I have a teacher to smack upside the head....

Later Pr3shuR.... thanks for your input!!

no prob matty, hey..............watch out for the upper cut.
    Pr3shuR
    ----------
    always

I'm more afraid of the jab...

when you 6"5+, small people are scarey!!!!! 8)

Possible

There is no necessity for windows 2000 server to have AD activated. 2000 is quite happy in a NT environment. You want to have fun throw in Linux into the mix!!

LCD

There should not be any problems for the two to coexist. but win2k is never bdc. It uses AD but the pretty coll thing is that you can have more then one DC in win2k enviroment just for backup of a AD. Oh yeah one other thing if you run win2k in a naitve enviroment you might have a problem with nt4 in a same enviroment . I never tried this but i might just ....

bAgZ.. yeah, you would have problems, coz if I recall correctly, Active Directory has two methods of operation. Mixed and Native... you can only run in Native if all the machines are 2K.. (it might also include XP.. not sure)...

Yeah Matty_Cross i think you are right. It looks like you can only run win2000 professional with win2k in a naitive mode and obvously XP now but anything less then 2000 and things dont quite go the way you want'em to.