Thread: Windows ME question

Windows ME question

Can someone please educate me on this. I have a friend who says that Windows ME has trouble seeing/utilizing more than 256MB of memory. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Regards,
    Geno

\"Disciples, like diamonds, are developed in a process of time and heavy pressures, and both the disciple and the diamond reflect and magnify the light that comes through them.\"

Neal A. Maxwell

Is it WinME having trouble seeing/utilizing it or is it the motherboard?
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

From what I understand, he says it is ME.
    Regards,
    Geno

\"Disciples, like diamonds, are developed in a process of time and heavy pressures, and both the disciple and the diamond reflect and magnify the light that comes through them.\"

Neal A. Maxwell

I think I found my answer. Anyone have an opinion on this article?

http://support.microsoft.com/directo...icle.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q181862
    Regards,
    Geno

Neal A. Maxwell

I can't give you an opinion on the article as the link doesn't work, but i can tell you win me can use up to 1 gigabyte of ram, albeit badly. There is a known problem with "out of memory" errors when you have more than 512 meg of ram - its easily fixed though, if thats your problem - let me know.

I'm not sure if the "out of memory" error is what mt friend is refering too. But I would appreciate any info that you could give me on this error and its fix.
    Regards,
    Geno

Neal A. Maxwell

windows is developed poorly (as we all know). too much memory can be just as bad as too little. i kind of follows a normal curve distribution around 320mb ram. i would not advise anyone to have less than 128 or more than 512mb. when you get too much memory it slows windows down bc there is too much memory for windows to address it all. its like having a 6 story hotel and only using the bottom floor yet you clean all 6 floors every day. (that was kind of a bad example. sorry i cant think of anything better)

anyways, it goes something like that.
    Bradley Lamar

Normal distribution - doesn't /everything/ follow that curve at some stage or another
    Here's something might help http://www.techadvice.com/specs/answer.asp?aid=182

Sweet! Thanks for the info!
    Regards,
    Geno

Neal A. Maxwell