• Win NT etc..

10 32.26%
  • Mac O/S

0 0%
  • SunOS

0 0%

Thread: AO meetings?

AO meetings?

This really isn't a site suggestion, but it is a suggestion for AO...I think it'd be kewl for AO to host monthly meetings in various areas that would be setup by members of AO.....what does everyone think? The meetings would have discussions about security, programming, OSes of all kinds, etc.
    “People don’t talk about anything.” [Clarisse]
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]
    “No, not anything. They name a lot of cars or clothes or swimming pools mostly and say how swell! But they all say the same things and nobody says anything different from anyone else. And most of the time in the cafes they have the joke-boxes on and the same jokes most of the time, or the musical wall lit and all the colored patterns running up and down, but it’s only color and all abstract. And at the museums, have you ever been? All abstract. That\'s all there is now...\"
    -A conversation with Clarrise McClellan and Guy Montag from Fahrenheit 451

Banned
    Good idea, but living in Ireland I dont expect to be at many of the meetings....

re: meetings

I live in West Virginia, and there aren't any 2600 meetings around here, and i doubt there would be any AO meetings around here either, but I really like the idea, because I have been to 2600 meetings and I have learned a good bit. I think AO meetings would be even more focused and useful. Someone should try and start some up.

Just a note on this, these types of "User Group" meetings are difficult to coordinate, set-up and run. It usually falls on 1 or 2 people to do all the work and they get tired of that **** real quick. It's not cheap either.
    My 2 cents worth.

AntiOnline Senior Member
    I think it would be a good idea...

Sounds good. But would it be the same as 2600 meetings. From what I have noticed about the AO user community it seems like there isn't a lot of security professionals.

I would like to start a meeting in the Houston area, but I would not support it if it looked like it would turn out like the local 2600 meeting, with the police harrisment and nothing but a lot of kids trying to become haxors...

I also wouldn't believe that JP would not want AO to fall into the "hacker group" sterotype. One reason I frequent AO is because it has always been noted as being the "Security Good Guys" and not a place for anyone and everyone to learn about the newest hack on RH 7.

I would like to hear JP's opinion on this subject. He is the owner of the AO name. So I believe.

rPc

Banned
    Greetings All:

Definitely a bad idea, heh. I think it's more fruitful to share your thoughts, views, ideas, and questions, with the world via this site, instead of with a small handful of poorly organized meetings scattered across the country.

Maybe if I ever get the time and energy, we'll host an AntiOnline get together somewhere, a mini AntiCon so to speak. But, I don't see that happening any time in the near future.....