View Poll Results: What kind of Anti-Virus protection do you use?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • AVG Anti-Virus

3 30.00%
  • Mcafee VirusScan

0 0%
  • Norton Anti-Virus

7 70.00%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best web-scripting language

Question Best web-scripting language

I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts on the best web based scripting (server side scripting) language is.

My personal opinion is that they all have their pro's and con's. I'll give you one thought on the subject though - I hate the ability to not declare variables. In ASP I always get problems when I make a variable by accident by spelling it wrong then forget to destroy it later and it causes the server to lag when it happens XXX number of times. Also I highly dislike not having different types of variables to use (the fact that they all start as objects then just hold different types of info). Argh!

Anyways, just wondering on the rest of the communities thoughs on this matter.
    - Stronzo

\"Vini, Vici, Vidi\"
    I came, I saw, I conquered.
    - Julius Caesar

Im partial to PHP myself.

Question the question..

What are server side scripting languages? Like HTML except for servers? Thanks.
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

Re: the question..

Originally posted by Kezil
    What are server side scripting languages? Like HTML except for servers? Thanks.
    No, i wouldn't put it quite like that. HTML is just a mark-up language. It doesn't actually DO anything, it's just interpreted by browsers. JavaScript would be a better example. The thing with JavaScript is that is is very limited and very taxing on the client browser.

Server Side Scripting allows the web programmer great control over what happens on a web site. This site for instance is created with PHP, a sss language. It allows things to happen dynamically without the web programmer needing to do anything. It handles the forms when you press submit to reply to a post, it displays the thread when you click on a link, it updates who the last poster was, how many replies, how many views, etc.

I personally use ASP (due to the fact the my friend who is hosting my web sites runs win2k server) on my rollerblade website. I've got it to the point where if I want to update the site by adding a new video or picture, all I have to do is upload it. Now you could never do this with HTML or JavaScript.

Hope this helped answer your question. If you have any others just reply to this post or pm me.
    - Stronzo

\"Vini, Vici, Vidi\"
    - Julius Caesar

Server side languages execute on the server (hence the name) and are completely parsed before being sent to the browser. Try viewing the source code for this page and it'll all be in HTML, because that is the only format browsers can understand (it also stops you from pinching JPs code!)

Client side scripting occurs on the client side, i.e. the web browser. Client side is much faster and can be updated say every second (hence the cheesy scrolling messages in text boxes) but has the disadvantages of letting anyone view the source code and only working on browsers that support it and have the option turned on.

My favourite language has got to be PHP because it's much faster than CGI, more portable than ASP and cheaper than ColdFusion. On top of that, it's open source and remarkably easy to use if. like me, you already know some C and Perl.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Talking thanks

Thanks for your help, both of you. That information is exactly what I was looking for and very helpful.
    (Note to self: learn PHP)
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

Lightbulb JSP and Servlets

Lately I've been looking into JSP and Java Servlets (as Java is my language of choice). The main thing I like about it is that it is much easier to make a servlet than an activeX object (no restart, horray!). Very powerful and, let's face it, it's made for the web!

Oh yeah, never thought to mention cold fusion in the poll. probably cuz i don't know anyone who programs in it.
    - Stronzo

\"Vini, Vici, Vidi\"
    - Julius Caesar

PHP and JSP are the best languages. Whether you use one or the other is probably primarily based on budget.

JSP is definately more mainstream and works well with db2 and other high-end databases. On the other hand, license fees can cost you an arm and a leg. Therefore, for small budgets or smaller projects, the equally capable PHP/MySQL free-combo is probably best.
    Regards,
    ph0rse

Question Huh?

Originally posted by force
    JSP is definately more mainstream and works well with db2 and other high-end databases. On the other hand, license fees can cost you an arm and a leg. Therefore, for small budgets or smaller projects, the equally capable PHP/MySQL free-combo is probably best.
    I'm sorry, what are you talking about??? JSP is free and it works with MySQL. It's called JDBC. As long as you've set up a datasource it's no problem at all.
    - Stronzo

\"Vini, Vici, Vidi\"
    - Julius Caesar

The license fees I referred to in my post was that of DB2, not JSP. I'm aware of JDBC, but I was just using the most likely database to be used.

The focus of my previous post was to point out usability of 2 typical scripting languages in mainstream enviroments. I was trying to make the point that PHP/MySQL performance do not match those of JSP/DB2. Moreover, neither do those of JSP/JDBC/MySQL or any other SQL databse for that matter.
    Regards,
    ph0rse