Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What was your first computer and what did do you regret doing to it?

Banned

Thumbs down What was your first computer and what did do you regret doing to it?

Just curious what was the first computer you ever owned and what was your biggest mistake you made with it that you look back and laugh at?

Well Ill tell you mine.. back in like 1995 I got my first computer and scraped it and put it back together and I put the 586 AMD 120+ Chip back in backwards it was funny I fried the chip etc.. Luckily I had another chip waiting JIC ROFL.. It was in all a funny scenario. We all make mistakes damnit.. now tell me about yours.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Talking

My first computer was an Apple Macintosh 512K. The first one I bought myself was an Apple Macintosh Quadra 650. I had a whopping 16MB of RAM, 500MB Hard drive all running at a whopping 33Mhz 68040 processor and just to add that much more flavour, I had a speedy little 14.4 modem and a "huge" 14 inch screen. At the time it was a speed demon of a work horse and I still have it active to date. I've lent it to a friend so he could get to know the Mac OS a bit. I'll get it back from him soon and probably turn it into a *nix box or an apply ftp server or something.

The worst mistake I made, and yet the funniest, was when I was repairing a clone for the first time. I didn't know about the "loose" wires and decided that the one that was loose should be connected. Man, what a smell! I learned the hard way and am lucky I didn't set the school on fire.

An Apple ][e, was my first computer. If I recall correctly I was about 8 or 9 yrs old. And I could never remember the syntax to start up a game. (forgot what it was called) Was a robot game. Excellent graphics.

Banned

I remember my first "Computer" It was a commadore vic 20..

But I can't really remember too much about it.. Just about the tape drive and all. And that it was a really wierd yellow comp :P The only game I remember is purple meanies it was this old school game it was pretty leet.

I remember something my dad did to our first computer, I still pick on him about it today. It was a discontinued model PS/2 and my dad tried to upgrade the RAM, but he had no clue how, so instead of putting it in the right place, he stuck it in another slot and fired the entire computer, which lead to our second computer, which sucked. It was an IBM-compatible running DOS and a GUI called GEOS. We had that computer forever, still have it actually, it made a descent word processor.

I botched it one day because I shut it down improperly. But eventually I fugred out how to fix my mistake. And it started working again. I used to make all sorts of batch-files on that thing, because I wanted a realy computer and my parental units didn't think that it was necessary.

Then got a Celeron system for my freshman year of college and I wooped its ass. I reinstalled Win98 every oether weekend because I was trying to do so much crap. But, that is how I figured out much of my Windows knowledge. Then for about a month I stripped 98 off of it completely and used Linux. Which got me addicted to computer dorkery.

Now I have given my Gateway Celeron system to my Mom and Sis, and have a PowerBook G3 400 Mhz w/ 1 gig of RAM, running OS 9.2.1 and soon to have OS X 10.1. And I have a Pentium 120 Mhz 32MB running NetBSD.

I am addicted to computers. I keep trying to find older computers that people will donate to me so that I can install some form of *nix on them so that I can play.

I still do really stupid stuff, like working on files in /etc without having a backup. Or like deleting my rc.conf by accident (don't ask, I kicked myself, but I had to upgrade anyway, so everything worked out in the end.)

dhej

Banned
    Commodore 64!
    Peek and Poke!
    load......,8,1!
    disk drive, tape drive, cartridges!
    music!
    Frogger! Karate Kid!

I was only in grade school when i had my first computer and it was a Tandy. I think it was a 386. My biggest mistakes were, like Prat said I took it apart an put the chip in backwards. And I learned that you can fry a motherboard by walking around on the carpet and touching the keylock. My computer didn'twork for all summer tell we finally got it fixed.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Grade 12 Physics project circa 1977

MITS Altair
    I\'m not a BOT I\'m a beer droid!
    Prepare to be Assimilated.

A TI thingy (forget the name) that was basicaly a keyboard that you hooked to a TV that used cartridges and tapes....very crappy but.......it had pac-man and pong!!!!!
    Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune

My first computer was a Pentium 3 667 that I built myself. It's still pretty much the same, but in its life I have quadrupled the RAM, and added a DVD drive and a CD burner on SCSI. The only thing I regret doing to it was to beta test Windows ME on it. I felt like I was running a large (and VERY unstable) calculator.