Thread: Audio

Question Audio

I saw a demo where a remote computer listened to what was being said in my room over my speakers, recored the conversation and sent me the audio file. Does anyone know how this was done? I am protected now but what an eye opener that was.
    bill
    Bill

you're protected now? how quaint. not pickin on you bud, just sounded kinda funny.. anyways...

well, first of all, duh, the computer must have a microphone that was hooked up. without that , there is no listening. some people tried to rework some speakers so that they woudl reverse sound..ie pickup sound...this doesn't seem to work tho. it will work the opposite way tho. some older microphones will become speakers..anyway, on to your question

the most likely way this was done was by a trojan program on your computer. i own't get into all the details here about how to program that specific part of the trojan, but this is what most likely happend

--the trojan loaded at started at startup
    --it either started recording right away or it waited for a specific key stroke..same way to stop..some thing tipped it off
    --if you have a connection always on, it most likely sent a file...otherwise, it stored the audio in ram most likely.
    --waited for harddrive processing, and added a few extra seconds on to the end for its compressing. this way ther isn't unauthorized harddrive lights comin on
    --and finally sent in the back ground sometime.

wouldn't be that difficutl to come up with the plan..but most virus scanners shoudl be able to tell about something like that.
    otherwise there's always the trojan blocking programs
    and the three fintger salute. ctrl alt del. will show visible programs running..it is possible to "hide" it.
    then you need a process viewer program
    visit clublouie.com!!

Thanks for replying man.
    The comment of me being protected....after rereading it does sound a bit commercial...lol This demo was prior to my firewall which should protect me from most attemps. Yes my computers are always on and connected. No there was not a microphone connected to the pc at the time, that is why I am so interested in how it was done. Infact the pc in question has never had a mic on it, nor is one built into it. I realize there isn't much difference between a mic and a speaker as far as basic ability to listen or play sound. I was more impressed that they could do this quickly accross the speakers.

Bill
    Bill

do you have the information where you got this demo... i don't "not believe" what you say, but i think there must be some part in error here. like i said, when it comes to reflex speakers, (the type that are used most often with comptuers) their abliltiy to pick up sound is minute, you shoudln't be able to hear much but very loud sounds if you try to use them. The program must have used advanced assembly programming in Dos window? i can't htink of any way that window's api's and such could get this deep. even plug and play equipment has...well, not exaclty sure, but has a differnt structure than that. please elaborate. i'mv ery interested. Otherwise, if you feel uncomfortable posting that info here, PM me
    aarobonob
    visit clublouie.com!!

I will see if I can find the info for you. It was from one of the free firewall test sites. The equipment I was using at the time was a compaq deskpro 2000, with an nec monitor and standard pc soundcard and speakers...basically a business desktop with no frills at all.
    Bill