Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linksys Router/Firewall

AntiOnline Senior Member

Question Linksys Router/Firewall

Has anyone used the LinkSys router/firewall combo for home users? If anyone has, how good is the firewall protection and how good is the router?

I installed on 'bout 2 or 3 weeks ago for a familly friend, it has NAT, and ip/port filtering (in a limited but usefull way), and the new bios can force users to run zonealarm if you configure it so... As far as routing capacity, I haven't had any complaint yet, so I guess it's doing well...

I'd suggest you check out linksys website for detailed specs...

Overall I'd say it's a pretty neat box...

Ammo

AntiOnline Senior Member
    Kool. I was hoping to hear positive feedback am i am looking into buying one of 'em.

I have had my Linksys Router/Firewall for about three months now and have had no problems with it. It was really easy to setup and I've done some basic penetration testing on it.. which it stood up to. It's got a simple web interface to administer it. The one thing I really like is that it allows for a DMZ computer, so I could place one of my systems outside the firewall by the click of a mouse instead of unplugging it and moving it elsewhere on my home network.

Ammo, in what way is it's ip/port filtering limited? I am considering purchasing one.

Cool

Right now all I have is Tiny Personal Firewall and was considering moving up to a hardware firewall due mainly to the fact that punks on IRC have been trying to mess with me lately. So far TPF has stood up to it, but I know it is probably pretty easy to get through this if someone with experience shows up. How much is the Linksys Router/Firewall?
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

4 l33t 0n3 0nc3 s41d.

Limited filtering Firewall/router combo's arent necessarily bad.

Thats if you dont mind only being able to filter three ports out of 65567 ports.

when it comes to that.

security becomes absolete.

static ip's be aware

ph33r the filtering.
    ------------EViLSEED
    Hackers are impervious. Resistant is futile.

ThePreacher... I spent $99.99 on mine. They actually make two models. One that's just a router/firewall and one that's a 5 port switch-router/firewall. The switch-router was more expensive... like $189.00 I think. For me, it was cheaper to get the router/fw combo and plug a 100mb hub into it.

I love my Linksys router. I have never had any problems with it, and the firewall is great for a personal grade router.

stflook gives this product a

Originally posted by xstonedogx
    Ammo, in what way is it's ip/port filtering limited? I am considering purchasing one.
    Well, if I remember well, you can set up something like maximum 5 port ranges to filter out and I felt the way you set up filtering by ip port/ip address/physical port didn't allow as much flexibility as a firewall like ipfilter, but of course it's not meant to be as evolved... I suggest you check out the pdf manuals for the router on linksys site (ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/befsr11&befsr41ug.pdfcheck out page 25, top right picture...)
    However, other than that it's a pretty cool device (check out the other options in the manual...) and it does support stateful filtering!

Ammo