Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: system requirments to run linux?

I have linux running on a 386 with only 6mb of ram and no hard drive just 2 floppys. but its the crappiest version of linux you can get called quinux.
    -Madhatt3r

Banned

My Suggestion..

I suggest you just put together a cheap AMD box...
    Like 700 Processer
    ASUS MB
    256 megs ram
    20 gig hd
    etc...
    shouldn't run you more then 400..

Prat, I dunno but, 400 hundred is more than I got.

I have NetBSD running well on a P120 32MB RAM that someone donated to my cause (the let-me-have-as-many-computers-as-possible cause).

I've had it running on a slower machine for a bit, but I uhh, did something stupid hardware wise, and botched the system. but lets not get into that.

Older computers, like Mittens said make great firewalls. You pop a second nic in there so little tweaks to get it firewalling, and you have yourself a merry little firewall for very little money.

There is also Linux that will run on 68k Macs, so if you find a happy little se30 or something, you could turn it into a kicking little box. MsMittens has yellowdog linux running on a PowerComputing Mac-clone, that is PPC, and those go for a fair price (I am trying to convince my school that they need to give me the 8 or so PowerComputing PowerCenter 150's that they got, because that way I would be able to have a sweet little network).

But I digress. Linux can breath life into almost any old computer you got laying about. It may take a bit of negotiation to get it running, but afterwards you will have neat little toy to play with.

dhej

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Originally posted by owen76
    What about installing redhat on a laptop? I've heard it can be difficult. Also, I love the tutorials.
    I haven't had any problems. I've run it on an IBM 390, 390E and A20. There is a little more tweaking in regards to the pcmcia card(s) but otherwise seems no different.

You can't know unless you try. I've actually considered buying the school's older laptops to play with linux on them.

question

Hey! Im pretty new so I'm just wondering, what is X? Everyone keeps refering to it, but never explains what it is. Please do.
    And what do you all think about having a dual boot of windows 2000, windows xp and redhat linux? Would there be any conflicts? (software/hardware?) Or does that just all depend on the partition you put it on?
    well thanks

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Talking

X generally refers to the X-Windows system or the GUI interface that often comes with Linux. There are two managers for the X-Windows: Gnome and/or KDE. I think most newer users choose Gnome but I could be wrong.

As for dual booting, each OS operates individually. If you are booted into one, the others are not running. I've been happily dual booting for a while using Win2k Adv Serv and RH 7.0. I haven't tried XP but that's for other reasons (I still don't trust that remote registration thingy).

It is recommended that Linux be put on free space rather than partitioned space. Works and runs better.

Talking

Hey thanks for enlightning me MsMittens!

Smile

Originally posted by MsMittens
    There are two managers for the X-Windows: Gnome and/or KDE. I think most newer users choose Gnome but I could be wrong.

<snip>

It is recommended that Linux be put on free space rather than partitioned space. Works and runs better.
    KDE is the default desktop for most distro's these days and in my experience, it's better to partition than to use free space, that way, when you re-install m$ or want to try another distro, you can retain your data without a headache, using free space is only a viable option when you want to test Linux not run with it long term. The best lesson I learned was to always make a linux boot disk.

Jamie.

We shouldn't forget about some of the light weight window managers - icewm, twm, windowmaker, evilwm - do a search on souceforge for window manager and you'll be surprised at the vast array - and not all of them are memory eating hogs a la KDE (i should add - if your system can support it, KDE is a great window manager!)

Thumbs up Window Manager's

Sticking with the subject && commenting on the interesting subject of window managers, that is truly one of the really great things about *nix. I have always thought that it was so cool that you have so many choices; choices that can be conformed to what resources you have available if you need.

If you are running an 'el cheapo' PC with barely any resources, I might suggest Blackbox. I run it on a laptop w/ K-6 and 32MB ram and it is very crisp and responsive. The downside for newbies is that you ahve to hand edit your menu's. The upside for newbies is that you have to hand edit your menu's (i.e. learn where your programs live )

Last thing... I would agree with prat in that if you have say $600.00 U.S. to spend on a box you can build a pretty sweet system shopping ebay and picewatch etc.. I would recommend a 21" monitor to anyone who uses *nix, while you don't need one it is amazing how much better running X at 1600x1200 is for real estate reasons.

sorry for the long reply, hope this helped someone.
    Know this..., you may not by thyself in pride claim the Mantle of Wizardry; that way lies only Bogosity without End.

Rather must you Become, and Become, and Become, until Hackers respect thy Power, and other Wizards hail thee as a Brother or Sister in Wisdom, and you wake up and realize that the Mantle hath lain unknown upon thy Shoulders since you knew not when.