Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hey

And then try this

IBM laptops come with 'Product Recovery' built in. (some models)
    When it starts a message 'Press F11 to initiate product recovery'

There is a hidden partition on your hard drive that contains images of it's original factory O/S and all the drivers.

Otherwise, they sent a bootable CD with each Laptop that did the same thing.

If you wish to spend $20 and get the original....it's worth it (just for the drivers, and 'unknown devices')

Of course you can boot a Windows CD; install it, and then download the drivers from IBM.

format c: y/
    or is it
    format c: /y
    if someone already said this, sorry, I'm just replying quick and I didn't want to read all about it first
    A buttered piece of bread always lands butter side down;
    A cat always lands on its feet;
    A cat with a buttered piece of bread strapped to its back hovers feet above the ground in a state of quantum indecision

You can boot off of win 98+ cds, I'm not sure if you need the autoexec.bat file to do this. I believe the /y at the end of the format c: command leaves the autoexec.bat file on the drive.
    As long as you have a bootable disk with an OS, you're safe.
    As far as formatting, boot to a DOS prompt and type format c:
    leaving you with nothing but a BIOS which is all you need to boot to an OS disk.
    A buttered piece of bread always lands butter side down;
    A cat always lands on its feet;
    A cat with a buttered piece of bread strapped to its back hovers feet above the ground in a state of quantum indecision

larryjs
    Boot from a win98 cd you will find fdisk, format and debug in the old msdos folder(I think..if not can someone post exactly where?) any way I recommend doing a "debug" on the hard drive to TOTALLY remove any old info. Some viruses will hook Bios INT13H and write themselves out of the area accessable by dos read write INTs 20 and 21h. The dubug script will *he he* solve this problem. Here is the script ( and please no one try and make this a virus payload).

%\>debug <enter>
    -F 200 L1000 0 <enter>
    -A CS:100 <enter>
    xxxx:0100 MOV AX,301 <enter>
    xxxx:0103 MOV BX,200 <enter>
    xxxx:0106 MOV CX,1 <enter>
    xxxx:0109 MOV DX,80 <enter>

(80 for hd 0 or 81 for hd 1 )

xxxx:010C INT 13 <enter>
    xxxx:010E INT 20 <enter>
    xxxx:0110 <enter>
    -g <enter>
    Program terminated normally
    -q<enter>

This very simple script will overwrite the first 1000 sectors on a harddrive. You will have to fdisk and format the drive afterwards but it will be CLEAN

larryjs
    Bye the way"Tha Man" this is a very good script to clean your hardrive of ANY data when you "inherit" it from someone else.
    I did not post this code to this thread to cause you problems. I was really trying to be helpful...I did post the same code to another thread....but I wasn't trying to help the little script kiddie.

I don't think you are stupid at all..

I don't want to foist linux upon you so i might as well try and help you install windows too.
    As i remember it, a lot of the 760el's can't boot from cd, or the network for that matter - your best bet would be a windows 98 cd with a 98 boot disk - you should be able to boot from the external floppy drive no problem - when it boots you'll get 3 options - choose "boot with cdrom support" and you should get landed to a command prompt - navigate to the cdrom drive - not sure which one it will be but just try them sequentially - d: e: etc, when you find it you'll need to find the location of the "format" command - its been a while so i'm not sure which directory its in - a 98 cd isn't that big so just cd into them and type format until it doesn't say "command not found" - when you find it format the c: drive and navigate back to the win98 directory of the cd - type setup from here to begin the installation.
    IBM's are great laptops for linux tho ;-)