Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux sucks?

Question Linux sucks?

From linuxsucks.com:

"Linux is more of a social phenomenon than a useful OS. It seems to fulfill a deep-seated need in certain geeks and nerds to fiddle endlessly with incredibly arcane trivia on a daily basis just to get basic services to work. Somehow Linux users are convinced that all the alleged power and configurability of Linux is an advantage. Well it's not. I work almost exclusively with Fortune 100 firms who invest 10's of millions in enterprise applications which can make or break them. The last thing they need is a 35 year old OS which has been tarted up with 2500 or so command line utilities and bizarre political ideology. Unix certainly has a place. IBM has gone slightly bonkers recently in supporting Linux. The only reason for this is to counter Microsoft (it will backfire). IBM already has a vastly superior implementation of Unix in the form of AIX.

Most really large systems run on big iron. No flavor of Unix, and certainly not Windows, can provide the 365x24 99.999% uptime that a cluster of 390's, or possibly Compaq/Tandem NonStop, can accomplish with ease.

But, back to the world of smaller systems. Windows 2000 is so vastly superior to Linux in any conceivable situation that it boggles the mind how so many apparently intelligent people have been sucked in by the Linux propaganda machine.

Case in point: Today I installed Oracle 8.1.7 on both Windows 2000 Server and on a RedHat 7.1 box. The Win2K installation went flawlessly and there was no need to consult README files or anything else. I had Oracle running smoothly withing an hour. Linux, on the other hand, was a complete mess. The Oracle installer choked and died several times. After about 6 hours of scouring documentation from Oracle, RedHat and myriad other websites I finally managed to get Oracle partially installed, but Net8 is still completely kaput with no solution in sight.

StarOffice fared somewhat better and it is fairly impressive, although not even remotely as polished and powerful as Office XP.

The video drivers delivered with RedHat do not work properly on the brand new Compaq Proliant I'm using as a test bed. Many, many other things only half work or require extensive reference to documentation (no, I don't want to have to RTFM, I want to play softball with my kids!).

Kylix is pretty cool but in the end it is simply a weak version of Borland's excellent Delphi product. None of the other Linux development tools would be taken seriously by our corporate clients. Linux in general reminds me of my early days when I had to hack through 8086 assembler using an MS-DOS text editor and MASM 5.0. Man I could produce code that was blindingly fast, incredibly memory efficient and I had 100% control over the hardware--far more control than Linux gives you. Trouble is assembly language programming was a huge pain in the arse and nobody in their right mind would do it today. Linux people seem to like the retro stone-age aspects of their pet OS. Well, everybody needs a hobby I suppose. I just prefer skiing and playing hockey to sitting in front of a glowing CRT hacking Perl scripts until my skin starts to turn to pale white cheese.

So, basically Linux sucks. For small systems Win2K is far easier to install and administer, and development environments are light-years ahead.

For the average user Windows XP is 1000% better than any form of Linux. I can only imagine the torture that thousands of parents, girlfriends, relatives and friends are subject to after being convinced by a Linux-loving fanatic to put this mess on their own computers. Guys, if you want to wage pissing contests against each other with your silly little OS go right ahead. But let everybody else get on with normal life.

Ciao."

Angry

I KILL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahaha

Linux sucks?!? Pssssshhhh.

I'd like to see the author of that run some of the things that run on Linux/Unix on Windows 2000 or XP. A personal example I can contend with is running MUDs. ( And here come the flames! ). I've ran muds on both Linux/Unix servers and on Windows. Windows running applications that must make many connections gobbles up so much memory that my computer started sounding like my Grandfather. "Who's in the what where?" Also, let's see a Univeristy have 100 to 10000+ students check email daily on Windows 2000.

....I choose you Blue Screen of Death!....

(Sorry for the Pokemon reference. My sister has it on in the background.)
    Would you like to play a game?

How about Global Thermonuclear War?

Hmm. Well.

Linux clearly doesn't suck. I've used it a lot and have never had any reason to complain about it - and I've used Windows about as much and complain about it regularly. Basically, if you're wondering whether or not Linux sucks, just use it - or speak to people who do - and you'll find it doesn't.

People can write anything they like. I can tell you the earth is flat and Windows XP is a good product. Don't worry about it.

- Freon
    NightKingdoms Progressive
    http://www.nightkingdoms.net/
    \"Circumventing the limitations of technology\"

Angry Linux sucks?? hmmmm.... don't think so.

In the modern world about 98.999% of people have no friggin clue about computers, software, programming etc. For them Linux would suck because it requires horrible things like reading the instructions and understanding what you are doing.
    How can we be so cold as to make something that any mongo retard can't just click, click, click, click and do whatever without any clue at all.

98.99999% is a lot (used to be 99.99999%) of people. People who cringed in fear back in the DOS days prior to Windows at the site of a computer. The real problem is that we have enabled a world full of morons to use very sofisticated machines and software with all of this user friendly crap. User friendly == "I want to look like I know what I am doing without understanding any of it, and GOD NO, please don't make me read anything."

Ok I will calm down a little. I guess there are bound to be those loyal to the evil empire and rhetoric.

Hmmmm..... I wonder if they are running IIS .....?
    Know this..., you may not by thyself in pride claim the Mantle of Wizardry; that way lies only Bogosity without End.

Rather must you Become, and Become, and Become, until Hackers respect thy Power, and other Wizards hail thee as a Brother or Sister in Wisdom, and you wake up and realize that the Mantle hath lain unknown upon thy Shoulders since you knew not when.

Linux doesn't Suck...if it did, it would be made by microsoft

Although I am a beginner user of Linux, I have seen better results using linux on an old junker (200+ mhz, 32 meg of 72 pin SIMMS, old Cirrus Logic PCI video card) than on my Windows machine running at 500 mhz with 192 meg of SDRAM.

Another thing...who here has seen linux crash??? Not me...not even once!

LINUX DOESN'T SUCK!
    Plain and Simple.

So on those who think Linux sucks.
    Welcome to Hell , where we have served more than all of the fast food chains put together! And the number grows everyday! Stay tuned!

I noticed...

that you mentioned RedHat...so where were the statistics on the "inability" of slak and debian....to accomplish anything with winders...ya need a damn program...and when you install a proggie...reboot reboot reboot....aaaarrrrggggg.....when you write to a floppy...linux has windows beat in speed and reliability....does windows probe the hardware like linux does...please tell me I dont know....can you set your ports open or closed manually without needing a firewall to do it for you...would any sane person set up a winders box as a firewall to a linux box...or would it be better to turn that around....what the hell is the use of a gui? And damn icons? clickety clickety click...makes me sick...i want the program to run knowing that its not going to hang or hit the blue screen of frustration halfway through....arcane? win2k is better? bah humbug

Well, to be honest...

I have seen Linux crash under circumstances which didn't justify it. I think the setup I managed this on was Red Hat Linux 5.0, Kernel 2.0.36, running wu-ftpd 2.6; if you hook up to the FTP server, log in as a normal user, or anonymous (if that's enabled) and issue PASV requests as fast as you can, it causes a kernel panic.

Well, having said that, I still stand by Linux (and that trick doesn't work any more as far as I know, with the latest kernel and a nice FTP daemon).

- Freon
    NightKingdoms Progressive
    http://www.nightkingdoms.net/
    \"Circumventing the limitations of technology\"

Banned

Talking Re: Well, to be honest...

Originally posted by freon
    I have seen Linux crash under circumstances which didn't justify it. I think the setup I managed this on was Red Hat Linux
    Well Ive ran Linux for going on 6 years and I can count on one hand How many times it has crashed.. Windows on the other had I crash about 15 times a day :P So that is another reason I use *Nix.

Re: Linux doesn't Suck...if it did, it would be made by microsoft

Originally posted by psychosquee
    Another thing...who here has seen linux crash??? Not me...not even once!
    [/B]
    I've never seen linux crash except when the whole computer went down which was caused by a lightning strike. I agree that we have given everyday Joe's highly advanced software and the ability to use it with a "click-click-click." This brings alot of pro's and con's into the picture. Pros are people can be more productive then ever. Cons are the breeding of script kiddies, morons crashing thousands of dollars of equipment, etc. No one takes the time to figure out why something works. With Linux and Unix you have to have an understanding of what you are doing. Would you drive a car if you had no clue what an engine or alternator was? Some people do! (No offense to those who are car-illiterate). Unix/Linux is like people driving around who moderatly know what to do when their car breaks down on the side of the road. Windows is for those people who have to push the wretched OnStar button.
    Would you like to play a game?

How about Global Thermonuclear War?