Thread: Maxtor Hard Disk. Please read and Reply!

Thumbs down Maxtor Hard Disk. Please read and Reply!

Is it normal for a brand new Maxtor 30 GB 7200rpm HD to create noises as loud as a old Maxtor 2.1 GB HD?

No HD should make noises that loud. . hmmmm.

Hmm...

I don't have much of a point of reference here. I have a couple of old 1.2Gb Maxtors kicking around and they fairly rattle when they read and write. I wouldn't worry too much about it if the drive works OK, unless it makes inordinate amounts of noise while it's sitting there just spinning, not actually accessing the disk.

Hmm - just to add to that - if you get a lot of noise, it's possible that it has something to do with the way the drive (or something else) is mounted, rather than having anything innately to do with the drive. Does the drive still make this much noise if you take it out of the bracket? (Btw, don't do this if you're not confident messing with the guts of your PC!) I remember I once stupidly mounted a hard disk in such a way that the front of the drive was touching the front of the case; it rattled like hell and worried me until I figured out what I'd done.

- Freon
    NightKingdoms Progressive
    http://www.nightkingdoms.net/
    \"Circumventing the limitations of technology\"

I have a Maxtor 30.7GB GDMA HD IDE ATA/100 9.0/100/7200/2MB
    and its quiet . Go to Maxtor webpage and download POWERMAX it will look for errors that you might have on your hard drive.

Wink

All my maxtor hdd did sound a little bit 2 mutch! and the thing is,
    maxtor r independent of the spec low level format utility u can download on the net...
    else it's good but if you can't get the noise down, get one of thoz rubber cases u rap the hdd in (YOU HAFTO HAVE GOOD AIR CIRKULATION IN YOU'R PUTER) and it isolates much of the sound of the monster drive on 30GB when it's ROUMS at boot up

New Maxtors that I have installed are not loud. When they start making noise then that probably means that it is about to die on you. My 2 Gig did the same exact thing and it died on me. Luckily I had all my important files on the second hard drive.
    What I would do if I were you is that I would take it back to where you got it and get an exchange.
    Hope that has helped.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

AntiOnline Senior Member

I gotta a newer Maxtor and it is so quiet you have to put your ear to the case of the comp to hear it. So I would definetily say no it's not normal.

quiet

i've installed probably hundreds of maxtor drives and the new ones are quieter than ever. they slim-lined the hdd and made it very quiet. if yours is making noises i suggest returning it or if it is too late to return it all maxtor drives come with a 3 yr manufacturers warranty so i suggest contacting maxtor for a new drive.
    Bradley Lamar

No. It's never normal for a hard drive to be that loud. Strange, but this is the first problem I have heard about a Maxtor drive. Anyway, take it back. You got a lemon, is all.

Wink Re: quiet

Originally posted by bradleylamar
    i've installed probably hundreds of maxtor drives and the new ones are quieter than ever. they slim-lined the hdd and made it very quiet. if yours is making noises i suggest returning it or if it is too late to return it all maxtor drives come with a 3 yr manufacturers warranty so i suggest contacting maxtor for a new drive.
    Hmmm.. why diden't i think of that... it's a lable on my driva with 3years of wharenty... 10p 2 u!