Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: formatted or beenhaded

Question formatted or beenhaded

I placed a windows 95 machine into service to have te disc formatted memory upgrade and installattion of windows 98se.
    Initially i purchased the machine used and the only files on the computer of my own were a few windows media files that windows media recorded of of my marylin manson c.d.
    Okay i get the computer back turn it on start goin you know through files to see whats new and improved,anyways it had w media 6 installed so i now had windows update so i dl'ed the media seven player once installed it showed marylin manson files in the media library?
    And not to seem overly concerened i replaced the battery for my system clock cause evrytime i booted the time was wrong so i changed the battery and told it what drivers to use and it still does it?Was i ripped off by technicall flunkies at compusave?or do file naturally linger(lol)after formatting?
    Thanks for putting up with me

Clock chip

Had a similar problem.

Clock chip was 'shot' 'insane' 'on drugs' 'kaput'. Couldn't replace it so had to replace Motherboard.

After updating BIOS first to Y2K standards, of course.

Try this...

You should do it yourself! Gather up all drivers that will be needed and then format the computer yourself. You will now know everything that goes onto your computer.

Don't forget to :
    FDISK /mbr
    and then
    FDISK

When you format use :
    FORMAT C:\ /S

Arrow thank you

Its sad to know that you can be a victim just by merely trusting a reputable company to give you what you paid for,and to think they offered to be my isp (ha ha) compuserve what a joke. Thanks again

I dont quite understand your problem with the marilyn manson files. Are you saying that they arent visible under Windows Media Player 7. This is what I would do. Download winamp, it is much better at handling audio.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

captdvating.. sounds like they just upgraded your 95 rather than a clean format... or if they didn't upgrade it, they just deleted the Program Files & Windows directory and installed 98SE on the computer...

Take it back to them... smack them upside the head, and tell them to do what you asked for in the first place.. if they say they will have to charge you for it, report them to your countries equivilant of a fair trading commission (or at least threaten to)...
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

They just screwed you over, a lot of these computer techies charge a lot for doing nothing.

Arrow Wow thanks thanks thanks

First and foremost(because preacher has a 1000 round clip)
    I did opt for winamp and i agree.And im avidly awaiting a students
    (a A O member im proud to say) final project wich will be a media player.
    And thanks to:

Focmaester

Matty Cross>>>Seems to be the case exactly

DISLEX

Thumbs up :o)

captdvating, you are very welcome. Thank you for a good post.

Re: formatted or beenhaded

Originally posted by captdvating
    I placed a windows 95 machine into service to have te disc formatted memory upgrade and installattion of windows 98se.
    Initially i purchased the machine used and the only files on the computer of my own were a few windows media files that windows media recorded of of my marylin manson c.d.
    Okay i get the computer back turn it on start goin you know through files to see whats new and improved,anyways it had w media 6 installed so i now had windows update so i dl'ed the media seven player once installed it showed marylin manson files in the media library?
    And not to seem overly concerened i replaced the battery for my system clock cause evrytime i booted the time was wrong so i changed the battery and told it what drivers to use and it still does it?Was i ripped off by technicall flunkies at compusave?or do file naturally linger(lol)after formatting?
    Thanks for putting up with me
    They upgraded rather than format, like previous posts have said. It's a common practice to pull things over on the end user. If you changed out BIOS battery and get these drivers issues, sounds like they forgot to update some drivers for a few things. It's probably still using old win95 drivers left over from the upgrade. I'm not a big fan of M$ upgrades, they always seem to leave some crap on the system you don't need. Either take it back and tell me them to "format the disc" and "install a clean version of win98" or find all the drivers on the internet and do this yourself. I'm not knocking comp places, but the local one in my area charges $160 to install any windows version on any computer. It's amazing how much these places charge. These are the same places that charge you $32 for 64MB of RAM when you can buy it online for only $1. Go figure....