Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IBM = bigger HDs?

IBM = bigger HDs?

I've recently read an old article in a pc mag (don't remember which one....) that IBM was developing some kind of coating for their HDs which would allow them to store much larger amounts of data on them...they suspect to have 400 GB HDs for desktops, and 200 GB HDs for laptops by like the year 2005. Is it me, or does this sound just a little bit unimaginable?
    “People don’t talk about anything.” [Clarisse]
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]
    “No, not anything. They name a lot of cars or clothes or swimming pools mostly and say how swell! But they all say the same things and nobody says anything different from anyone else. And most of the time in the cafes they have the joke-boxes on and the same jokes most of the time, or the musical wall lit and all the colored patterns running up and down, but it’s only color and all abstract. And at the museums, have you ever been? All abstract. That\'s all there is now...\"
    -A conversation with Clarrise McClellan and Guy Montag from Fahrenheit 451

AntiOnline Senior Member
    Not impossible or untrue at all. My friend works for a company that develops technology and they have technology that was developed a year ago that can store gigs upon of data on a small peice of magnetic strip the size of a credit card.
    (This is no joke.)

So yeah it is quite possible, but I am not sure I would want a Hard drive that big (would take forever to run Disk Defrag )

Talking

I'm sure if and when this technology is released, new and faster cpus and HD controllers will also in turn be released.........
    “People don’t talk about anything.” [Clarisse]
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]
    “No, not anything. They name a lot of cars or clothes or swimming pools mostly and say how swell! But they all say the same things and nobody says anything different from anyone else. And most of the time in the cafes they have the joke-boxes on and the same jokes most of the time, or the musical wall lit and all the colored patterns running up and down, but it’s only color and all abstract. And at the museums, have you ever been? All abstract. That\'s all there is now...\"
    -A conversation with Clarrise McClellan and Guy Montag from Fahrenheit 451

Pixie Dust

quite old but interesting article...

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/ne...807689,00.html

Cool

Other than server and business markets, what would an average home user do with 400 gigs. No one has an mp3 collection that large.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

I think it would be hard for someone to have a 400Gig Mp3 collection now...
    but some of my friends could prove me wrong if they had the hard-drive space...

one of my friends has over 40gig of Mp3... and when you consider the other music related items, such as music videos you get a fair bit a used space as well.....
    and lets not forget the good old DivX rips... mmmm DivX...

But if you think about it... at one stage, people would say, "Why did you get a 400MB HDD.. you'll never fill that up"...

if the resources are there, people will use them up.... its a human trait... possible a human flaw, but that's not up to me to decide....
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

As soon as more ISP's provide their customers cable/ADSL or flat fee dail up connections people will start to download more stuff fromw arez/file sharing programs. Then you will realize what to do with 400 gig

whell i did see a IBM server at 94 with a drive with 1000gb so a 200 gb drive is not a suprise......

AntiOnline Senior Member
    A 400 gig hard drive could be filled up quick for those with broadband ... DivX takes up a lot of space, MP3's, Warez, the list goes on and on...