This may seem like stupid question to as in a forum such as this where civil liberties are high on the agenda. I also know that in the US you are far more vocal on the subject than people in the UK.

In an ideal world I would prefer that people did not monitor my traffic. Unfortunately we do not live in an ideal world and people do evil things like fly into the side of buildings and kill thousands of people, molest children etc.

Crime is getting ever more sophisticated and I am aware that encryption is readily available and things can be hidden within jpg images etc. Nevertheless, I feel in order to stand a chance of controlling these hideous crimes some sort of monitoring facility has to be available.

Is it to much to ask for an impairment on your civil liberties in order to even slightly reduce suffering. If even if it stops the abuse of one little girl doesn’t that justify the entire project.

If the answer is no then you are a very selfish person. If you are that person who gets in the way because of a selfish obsession with privacy then I hope you can do it with a clear conscious.

This does not mean that I approve of a floodgate approach. I mean proper regulated monitoring where a regulatory body can go back and check what the agencies have been doing.