Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More software firewall holes...

More software firewall holes...

More misc software firewall vuneralbilities.

http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/171949.html

This stuff bypasses any software firewall, zone tiny whatever. From what it says.

Techniques for defeating the outbound data filters in popular personal firewalls such as Zone Alarm and Norton Personal Firewall have been independently posted on the Web by several researchers. Using the methods described, a rogue program could upload private user data without being detected by the firewall, the experts claim.
    Dunno if this has been posted yet. But thought it was an interesting read.
    LuRk?!?!

Firehole failed to get past my firewall
    Tooleaky won though

Here is some info i found on SetWindowHookEx.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

AntiOnline Senior Member
    Got thru my firewall... But ZoneAlarm says they will fix it, so no need to worry.

Quote -

Freund said that Zone Labs will release an update to Zone Alarm next week that will provide limited protection against the bug on Windows NT, 2000, and XP systems. A more complete fix will be incorporated in the next full release of Zone Alarm, version 3.0, which is due in January.

End of quote

Cool

Now this is scary. It busted through Tiny as though it wasn't even there. I need to know how to stop this, even if it means creating my own firewall.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Originally posted by ThePreacher
    Now this is scary. It busted through Tiny as though it wasn't even there.

I don't know how you've got Tiny configured but I'd take a guess and say that something's wrong!

I, like you, use Tinys' Personal Firewall. After running leak test this is what Tiny told me-

'Firewall Leak Testing Utility' from your computer wants to connect to 207.71.92.193, port 80

Obviously, you click on the deny button.

You then get the following message "Unable to connect due to a properly configured firewall"

Did you try one of the files listed on that site?? Leaktest wont get out, but those will. From what they say. Try one of those with tiny and see what ya get.

I'm at work right now. Planning on toying around with zone alarm when I get home, and seeing what it does.
    LuRk?!?!

I've used both leak test (the results are in my previous post) and when I tried using Firehole I got the following results-
    Either the program or failed to connect or did not recognise your web browser (IE6 and Opera 5.12)

BUT, when I ran too leaky I got the following results-
    Success! Which means your firewall is useless!

So, there you have it...I hope Tiny release a patch in the near future to rectify this "tiny" problem!

I have found a way of stopping too leaky breaching my firewall. What you do is delete the appropriate filter rules that allow IE access to the web and only allow Opera access. After doing this Tiny alerts you of too leakys attempts to access the web (which of course you block) and then gives some lame excuse that my connection is too slow or even down and it can't connect..

So there you go. It still seems having a software firewall is safer than not having anything..

Firewalls cause more tourble than they do help
    --It\'s all good... (Except for Windows ME)--

Angry

u guys wouldnt have these problems if u werent running windows

Cool

, like you, use Tinys' Personal Firewall. After running leak test this is what Tiny told me-

'Firewall Leak Testing Utility' from your computer wants to connect to 207.71.92.193, port 80

Obviously, you click on the deny button.

I was not talking about the leak test at grc.com. Tiny passed this with flying colors, and it also passed the Shields Up test perfectly. What I was talking about was "Firehole" at http://keir.net/firehole.html This thing got through Tiny Personal Firewall as though it wasn't even there.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19