Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KDE or GNOME

FreeOn,
    I thought that you could run Windows programs in Linux.. but first you had to either run ... Wine was it?? or something that allowed you to run a Windows is a window on linux...

I can't remember, I just had a discussion about it a while ago....
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

well personally i havent really used much of either a whole lot. dad and me loaded redhat onto the new old computer, haven't really used it much though. from what i've seen though they both seem about equal but i think KDE is the default on it now. both seem pretty damn fine to me.
    but then all this is coming from a 14 year old, lol.
    exist

forever

I prefer KDE to Gnome, but Enlightenment to both of 'em...

And VMWare is better than Wine (VMWare is a virtual machine... it's not free, but it does a good job of running Windows inside Linux)
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

KDE vs GNOME

Tuff one that. I've used both, I like both. I stopped getting serious about KDE cus *gULp* read the licence !!!

If you use this system professionally you have to pay the owners some dosh (currency), well that smacks of MicroGrab again. So F*#k that I'll stick to the free stuff without any encumbrances.

That was a few years ago now, I wonder have things changed? If things remain the same as before then think twice about this window manager (KDE) if you want to use it in some commercial setting.

What's wrong with 'fvwm 95' anyway, or just a console with SVGAlib

PZ

Enlightenment has a nice touch in that it looks *totally* different to Windows. I use Windows (but only because I have to to use the internet (only got a winmodem, dammit) and because Office 2000 works best in Windows and I have to use it so I can share documents with others, all of which are locked into the proprietary MS stuff).

KDE and GNOME both look a lot like Windows, though I use KDE as root because it makes administration easy to use, but as a standard user I prefer Enlightenment...

Nothing wrong with FVWM, but Enlightenment has that "totally non-windows" feel to it... it's got a futuristic look to it that is just so intriguing... I love using Enlightenment, in case you haven't already worked that out!!!!
    (The Lord Of The Rings)

staroffice

I believe sun microsystem's Star Office let's you save in ms office formats.

Yus, but since I have to use MS Office at skool, i need it at home so i can carry on with what i've been doing... its not just a case of the same file format, its the same interface etc. The other advantage of windows is that when other people use it, for whatever reason, they're not freaked out by how nothing works as they expect it to!!!
    (The Lord Of The Rings)

well I like KDE alot ...but I have to say that gnome is the way to go it seems to work better with devices.Plus I love the look and feel of gnome.

but they are both great x-windows systems..
    [glowpurple]A_420_hacker_24::.\"A man without a computer is just a man, a man with a computer is a Admin\" ... \"If its not 4:20 on your clock, it\'s time to change the time\"..:Quotations from Larry Wall:.
    \"I think you didn\'t get a reply because you used the terms \"correct\" and \"proper\", neither of which has much meaning in Perl culture. :-) \"
    [/glowpurple]