Thread: Internet Monitoring

Internet Monitoring

After the very successful post "How do you feel about being monitored?" with it's 40 odd replies (and costing me all my antipoints) I'd thought I'd post this. It's a little something I keep stuck to my monitor (I still think post it notes are mans best invention) to remind me that freedom, free speech and standing up for what you believe in are the most important things.

In Germany they first came for the Communists
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.
    Then they came for the Jews,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
    Then they came for the trade unionists
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.
    Then they came for the Catholics
    and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.
    Then they came for me
    and by that time no one was left to speak up.
    --The Reverend Martin Niemöller

I still stand by what I have said in previous posts. The right to free speech and personal privacy are things that should be held dearly and maintained at all costs...Not just given up for the "greater good"..

quotes like "give me librty or give me death" have been replaced with "Keep me save at all costs"

ain't that some sh#t

Re: freedom ain't free

I am not very good with quotes or history /* brain is full of acronymns and useless facts, no room left */ , but I think someone once said that "freedoms are lost one good intention at a time".

Or maybe it was "the road to hell is paved with good intentions". ??

Well anyway, I liked your post-it note proverb.

You know, communism is a theorecticaly a very safe, secure and perfect society. Funny how reality and theoretics are never the same.
    Know this..., you may not by thyself in pride claim the Mantle of Wizardry; that way lies only Bogosity without End.

Rather must you Become, and Become, and Become, until Hackers respect thy Power, and other Wizards hail thee as a Brother or Sister in Wisdom, and you wake up and realize that the Mantle hath lain unknown upon thy Shoulders since you knew not when.

Re: Re: freedom ain't free

Originally posted by UberC0der

"the road to hell is paved with good intentions". ??

Brilliant! You've summed it up with that one simple line...Thank you sir..

nice quote...just might save that one.