I'm reading a book about Firewalls at the moment... I currently use ZoneAlarm Pro on every computer on the network (except the Linux box) since they all have a direct internet connection via a dial-up modem (except the linux machine)... However, I am considering putting a Linux box with a real modem and a net card in the network so that all machines can connect through this, which will be firewalled, and probably also run some kind of site filter (since my sister keeps going on web sites she should't).

The one problem i've encountered so far is the distinct lack of real modems around... if anyone knows where I can buy one it would be a great help!!!

What I'm thinking is, would I still be best running ZAPro on each individual machine as well, as a backup, and to set local network based restrictions, or would it defeat the whole point of having a linux firewall designed to take the load off slow computers which already have antivirus and firewall and other stuff running.

I use a proxy server on one of the computers so my existing linux box can connect to the net, but that further slows the computers down...

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?