Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: For all you hackers out there...

Banned
    I consider myself none.
    I would not be considered a true hacker.
    I'm obviously not a cracker or I wouldnt be here.
    Im not a script kiddie or Im pretty sure if I was here I'd be causing trouble.
    Im not swift enough to be considered a grey hat, evil enough to be a black hat and Im not uber or I would be working on my own OS or some other worthy cause.
    So what am I, just normal I suppose.

Red face

white hat.

usually.
    ------------EViLSEED
    Hackers are impervious. Resistant is futile.

Talking id say

Im still lookin for a hat that fits

Question

When I started using computers it was not called hacking. It was just getting the main frame to do what you needed done. I dont see how all the colors apply, if just want to learn and teach thats hacking. If you want to cause damage you are a vandal and need to to be punished. If you do both see a head doc. Now days I get into servers over thier web pages that is just plain stupid if sysops ie admins can not protect simple things like web pages on IIS they need to be in house keeping! It was to easy to get into my bank and place of employment I sent a letter to both and guess what I can still get in and do any thing I want. I use Linux at home but the wife still likes Windows and aol so you live with what you have. I guess I am a clear hat I use what I need too. And if I get hacked well more power to them.

OK, in zilto's name we declare a new class of hacker-breed, clear hats!

Re: evolution of a nifty term

I suppose that my argument *could* be compared to the word `gay'. It doesn't, or didn't used to mean what almost everyone uses it for now.

With the knowledge that the term meant extreme technical skill in electronics and computer science for about 40 years before it meant a security minded person good or bad. /*hacker was actually a reporter mis-phrase, afaik */.

I do recognize the term hacker to mean both good and bad security people. And if you consider yourself a `good, or white hat hacker' then I am very proud to know you.

I do have a spare room loaded up with assorted computers and OS's that I *test* security on. My little home network has evolved from a single puter booting multiple OS's to a complex network behind an ever evolving firewall. I implement all the security patches for the software and OS's on that network, then I attempt to break in to those systems from another system outside the firewall over the internet. What I am interested in here is not the exploits, but rather the design /*code */ flaws that make them possible. Logical errors, incorrect data structures, math mistakes and all that loveliness that make up the security problem.

I would like someday to be known as a hacker by a group of people whom I respect. But not for any security ability reasons, rather the older, far more elusive, and maddening attainment of Unix wizardry. a la http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=126923 , which is a clever post from 1986, sorry about the author, it has long since been lost in the mess known as the net.

For the current definition of `hacker' via the New hacker Dictionary hacker n

Anyway, I don't think less of anyone for calling themselves a hacker as a result of an acute knowledge of computer security. One person I personally know that falls into this category for me is our Uber InfoSec guy at the company I work for as a SW/Eng. He knows crap that people shouldn't and has a large number of the RFC's just about memorized. Kind of scary to tell you the truth. His hat is grey if anyone is interested, everyone who has left themselves su'd in knows just how EviL he can be.
    Know this..., you may not by thyself in pride claim the Mantle of Wizardry; that way lies only Bogosity without End.

Rather must you Become, and Become, and Become, until Hackers respect thy Power, and other Wizards hail thee as a Brother or Sister in Wisdom, and you wake up and realize that the Mantle hath lain unknown upon thy Shoulders since you knew not when.

Cool just a group too learn

Its great fun just to see what others are doing
    I can show you what others do with thier systems and how to help them get them to do better with security on thier systems.

Re: For all you hackers out there...

Originally posted by SolidPez
    I was just wondering what kind of hacker you classify yourself as, black hat, white hat, grey hat, uber...etc?
    Someone please define all the different classifications of hacker
    such as the ones quoted above

all the way down to script kiddie..

thanx
    ------------EViLSEED
    Hackers are impervious. Resistant is futile.

Okay, I'm a newbie, and I know the difference between White, Black, and Gray hat hackers. Could someone please tell me what an Uberhacker is?

Come on, guys. I'm a newbie - don't flame me too much...

Thanks in advance,

K-Line

i'm a neophyte, (it just sounds so much better than newbie), i only really got into programming/security about 6 months ago, so i don't hack into remote networks or anything, but i do impress my friends with little things
    \"I am convinced that societies which live without government enjoy an infinitely greater degree of happiness than those who do.\" Thomas Jefferson