Thread: Free/Demo Compiler?

Free/Demo Compiler?

Does anyone know of where I can find a free or demo compiler for any language? Right now I have one for VB, but I'd like to be able to easily compile code in other languages, especially Visual/C++, but unfortunately I haven't been able to test what I learned so far, because I lack the compiler needed.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

dev-cpp from bloodshed software is very similar to ms-vc++ and its free

www.bloodshed.net
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

VB and Visual C++ are both proprietary Microsoft languages (VB is based on BASIC, VC++ on C++, J++ on Java etc..) You have to pay M$ for their compilers. So you're pretty much out of luck on the whole *every* language compiler.

You can switch to the standard version of languages, ie ANSI C/C++, in which case you can get some great free compilers (i.e. gcc if you want to develop on a Linux box, or djgpp for windows). Borland has a good devlopment environment that I think you can download as a trial.

Keep in mind though that the best devlopment environment is a text editor and command-line compiler because it requires very little proprietary knowledge.

I would recommend installing Linux and getting gcc because there are a bunch of addons that you can install that will make gcc compile pretty much anything.

I would recommend installing Linux and getting gcc because there are a bunch of addons that you can install that will make gcc compile pretty much anything.
    I use this on my laptop all the time. It is great for writing the code and most of them will port to other systems with a couple minor changes to header files and different commands.

That is how I program at work, as I'm not supposed to install any software the company doesn't have a license for and they don't like me to bring in my software to install even though I have a licnese for it... the company does not.

If you are in school, see if you can get a shell account from your school. They have gcc and other compilers available for us there, we just have to login and xfer the source files over. I find that they work well for what I need them for. I do mostly c and c++.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Bah anyother install Linux. that'll fix everything post in there I see..

Anyways.. A windows port of gcc also comes with Dev-C++ that Tedob1 mentioned. I use Dev-C++ on a daily basis and I love it. Just a suggestion if you decide to go with Dev-C++ (and I highly recomend you do) when you download it, make sure you download the new version but with MINGW/GCC 2.95.3 as Dev-C++ still has a few issues with MINGW/GCC 3.2, I had a few programs which wouldn't compile correctly on 3.2.

I'm not sure if they still do it, but for a while Borland offered a free version of their C/C++ command line compiler, I think it was version 5.5 perhaps. Check into that, and if all else consult the almighty Google...
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

I looked for Borland a few weeks ago, and it seems, unfortunately, they now charge money to use their compiler.

the MINGW compiler is a native Win32 port of gcc - it is as such completely free, and a reasonably small download.

You can develop "Real" windows applications with it, as well as using any library that you normally could (winsock, odbc etc) - this is in contrast to Cygwin, which emulates a UNIX environment.

Requires Windows95/98 or NT/2000 etc, compiles only from the command line (although can be used with 3rd party GUIs)

Get it from http://www.mingw.org/