Thread: Java tutorial

Antionline Herpetologist

Java tutorial

For those of you who don't know, Sun publishes a Java tutorial which is updated for every new version of the Java Platform. It's the best resource for learning Java on the internet. So here ya go:
    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/ .
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

er0k
    cool stuff cgkanchi, but really, i mean what is there that java has that C++ doesnt? They are both OOP, yet java requires all sorts of plugins and vm's and a load of crap that C++ doesnt.. if you or someone else wants to lemme know whats better about java, heh id like to know.

Antionline Herpetologist
    Java is superior to C++ in the following ways:
    1) Pure object oriented design (ie nothing can be outside a class).
    2) No multiple inheritance (can make for really messy code)
    3) No pointer arithmetic (actually, this is more of a disadvantage at times)
    4) Lots and lots of APIs in the standard distribution (so no learning a new API for something as trivial as GUI programming).
    5) No friend functions, templates and generic functions (yay!!!!)
    6) No scope resolution operator.
    7) Everything, including the primitive datatypes are derived from class Object, allowing for easy type casting and removing the need for the stuff in (5).
    8) Write once run anywhere (platform independence)
    9) Allows you to write server side scripts (or programs) with ease.

However, C++ still kicks Java's ass when it come to speed and power. I like use C++ for speed-intensive programs or programs which deal with hardware etc and Java for everything else. If Java got compiled into native code (I know, I know, gcc has something like that, but it's far from complete), I'd use it to the exclusion of every other language
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    Java is superior to C++ in the following ways:
    1) Pure object oriented design (ie nothing can be outside a class).
    2) No multiple inheritance (can make for really messy code)
    3) No pointer arithmetic (actually, this is more of a disadvantage at times)
    4) Lots and lots of APIs in the standard distribution (so no learning a new API for something as trivial as GUI programming).
    5) No friend functions, templates and generic functions (yay!!!!)
    6) No scope resolution operator.
    7) Everything, including the primitive datatypes are derived from class Object, allowing for easy type casting and removing the need for the stuff in (5).
    8) Write once run anywhere (platform independence)
    9) Allows you to write server side scripts (or programs) with ease.

....but that just takes all the fun out of programming! (for me)

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Antionline Herpetologist
    Well, it does doesn't it? Maybe that's why C/C++ will always be my first love. However, when you need to get stuff done and don't have time to either write or learn a new API, then Java's your best bet. Also, Sun is my hero, so that kinda makes me biased towards Java . In all seriousness, I think that Java is a fantastic platform and I really enjoy coding in Java, because I can actually get stuff done quickly. Another thing that I really like about Java is how comprehensive the documentation is. I have yet to see ANSI or ISO release documentation like that for C++. And to top it all off, Java is an open standard .
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    Yes. I have to agree c++ is my one and only love (though asm is becoming a close second)!
    It's funny how a lot of people can get upset over what another person thinks is a good language. As much as I love c++, it cannot be everything to everybody FOR every application. The reality is that the different languages are all appropriate as long as they are the best choice for the function/application/task they are being asked to perform. I guess what I'm saying (and it doesn't really apply to this thread) is that unless programmers are arguing over the best language for a specific function/application/task it's just all a bunch of opinions taken out of context.

Hmmm....that wasn't supposed to sound like a rant.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery