Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's up with all the Best of Crap

Exclamation What's up with all the Best of Crap

Ok latley on AO you seen alot of What is the Best, What do you perfer, What is your. What's up with that are why are people posting those threads. . I know I've had my share but for christ sakes is that all we can talk about now. It's like filling out a damn survey,lol.I think that it used to be cool to see people's views and now I'm getting kind of sick of it. It's getting old. Does anyone else agree? It was much easier when we could post to the news, and had good threads, I'm getting sick of it.

Some one explain because now that it's looking like it got trendy and I'm going to start thinking that people are only posting things like that to get more anti-points, or to get the most views on there threads. I liked Ennis's idea of posting those tutorials, and the News: ideas, as well as what's supposed to get discussed on these boards SECURITY.

I'm only stating the obvious here, there not bad threads. But to me it's getting old.

Cool

Everyone on these posts obviously share a few of the same interests in computers and their wide array of applications. Sercurity is what this site was founded on but to post opions about anything under the sun that people on this site of like mind can talk about is what general chit chat is.
    It might be my mistake but I though that what general chit chat was for to break the monotany of discussing just one side of our combined computer knowlage here. Oh well, maybe we should just get rid of this secion of threads.
    Those who are awake all live in the same world.
    Those who are asleep live in their own worlds. -Heraclitus

All Your Base!

Well, there *IS* a 'product reviews' forum... wouldn't they fit there? I have to admit, the novelty has quickly worn off. And nobody ever bothers to see if anyone has done a similar discussion before...
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Originally posted by tekfrost

It might be my mistake but I though that what general chit chat was for to break the monotany of discussing just one side of our combined computer knowlage here. Oh well, maybe we should just get rid of this secion of threads.

If my memory serves me correctly I seem to remeber JP saying something about removing the General Chit Forums from the home page. Apparently it creates too much confusion when guests arrive at the homepage intending to see security related topics but instead see things like "which is your favourite pet" or "quit yer bitchin" etc etc etc...

Im all for this and in my opinion it can't happen soon enough..

Re: yet another `which is better' post

Some of these posts are valid questions, some are clearly just for fun, some are designed to bloat the posters ego via replies.

Let me sum it up for all of you:
    ---------------------------------------
    Best OS = *any* Open Source OS
    PC vs. MAC = neither, Alpha's and any 64bit arch. totally rule
    Porgramming Language = any you can actually write code in.
    Whit, Black, Gery hat = white
    Age = between 1 and 999 to the 100th power
    Chucky vs. Tux = Tux if enabled with UberQuakeSkill, else Chucky
    All your base belong to us = yes
    best pet = any you care to dream of, better if attainable
    Location = somewhere in this Universe
    Connection = one that can do tcp/ip und udp, eles UUCP
    a hacker is = a very generic term, often mis-used.
    best signature = *yours*
    how much wood could a wood chuck chuck = eleventeen
    bill gates is the anit-christ = if M$ user =no, else yes

hope that helped
    Know this..., you may not by thyself in pride claim the Mantle of Wizardry; that way lies only Bogosity without End.

Rather must you Become, and Become, and Become, until Hackers respect thy Power, and other Wizards hail thee as a Brother or Sister in Wisdom, and you wake up and realize that the Mantle hath lain unknown upon thy Shoulders since you knew not when.

Cool Re: Re: yet another `which is better' post

Best OS = unix
    PC vs. MAC = pc
    Programming Language = assembly
    Whit, Black, Grey hat = white
    Age = 21
    Chucky vs. Tux = who?
    All your base belong to us = what?
    best pet = dog
    Location = Kansas City
    Connection = 56k
    a hacker is = someone who spits up crap while coughing
    best signature = mine
    how much wood could a wood chuck chuck = sixty three cubic feet
    bill gates is the anit-christ = not anti christ, just evil
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Re: Re: Re: yet another `which is better' post

Disclaimer: do know how to spell, do know how to type, often don't do both without finger fumble when typing in english

Corrected for (My) spelling mistakes, and some sort of soft reply to my reply.

> Best OS = unix, >Open Source Unix, there are ones out there that are almost as bad as MS for licensing and other rhetoric BS. ex: AT&T, and others, if you can afford these and don't need the source code for anything more power to you.

> PC vs. MAC = pc, >PC is ok. Alpha's are expensive, but they make PC's look like last decades technology.

> Programming Language = assembly, >if (&user) can actually code in it great, else no point in debating it, how would they know.

> Whit(e), Black, Grey hat = white, >definitely

> Age = 21, > that is yours, I know a 63 year old that knows an absolutely mind blowing amount of stuff. He is an UberHacker.
    [OS design professor @ MIT]

> Chucky vs. Tux = who? > Chucky is the *name* of the daemon character associated with Unix, especially FreeBSD. Named chucky for his green converse sneekers aka chuck D's.
    http://www.freebsd.org

> All your base belong to us = what? > Pop culture phrase from a anime cartoon with bad japanese to english translation, amazed you have never heard of it.http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/signs.shtml

> best pet = dog

Location = Kansas City
    Connection = 56k
    >a hacker is = someone who spits up crap while coughing >

best signature = mine
    how much wood could a wood chuck chuck = sixty three cubic feet

>bill gates is the a(nti)-christ = not anti christ, just evil. > Agree perhaps he is *just* evil.

in spite of my finger fumbling throghout the post, you cleary did not get some of it. hope this cleared some things up for somebody.
    Know this..., you may not by thyself in pride claim the Mantle of Wizardry; that way lies only Bogosity without End.

Rather must you Become, and Become, and Become, until Hackers respect thy Power, and other Wizards hail thee as a Brother or Sister in Wisdom, and you wake up and realize that the Mantle hath lain unknown upon thy Shoulders since you knew not when.

Post Re: Re: Re: Re: yet another `which is better' post

i forgot a few things:

best car:1964 chevrolet impala SS
    best comic: spawn
    best tv show: mystery science theater 3000
    best college class: peripherals
    best website: Dropped @ Birth
    best magazine: car audio and electronics
    best CD: Flashdance soundtrack(track 1 has awesome 20 hertz tone in the first 45 seconds)
    best new artist: Alicia Keyes
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: yet another `which is better' post

i forgot a few things:

best car:1968 Dodge Charger (Hemi for full points)
    comic: spawn
    best tv show: who's line is it anyway
    best college class: OS design
    best website: www.userfriendly.org
    best magazine: Maximum Linux
    best CD: Flashdance soundtrack(track 1 has awesome 20 hertz tone in the first 45 seconds) > can't compete with that but Tool has some pretty good CD's
    best new artist: ???? you got me there, so many new artists suck I can't think of any good ones.

Okai i think this is what freeOn is talking about. We're kind of moving off topic here...lets stick to learning and sharing knowledge, yes?
    But i do think that there should have a seperate forum for opinions and what you like.