Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cable internet

Post cable internet

I have @home and was wondering if anyone could find my IP address through ARIN or any other database. Also, will my firewall totally block off the kode kiddies or will they still be able to find the address.

The provider you use really has no effect on who can find your IP address. As for your firewall, you have to specify what firewall you're using before I can say if it does stealth or not. Most (or all) software firewalls don't mask IP addresses to the best of my knowledge.

Cool

To find out what your IP is :

Windowz:
    ipconfig /all

Linux/UNIX:
    ifconfig

what kind of FireWall ?

While it's on my mind, I don't know what firewall you have, but here are a couple free ones that are good in case you want to use them instead of, or even in addition to your current firewall, whatever it may be.

ZoneAlarm: I like this one for its ease of use and its immediate reports of attempted intrusions. You can also get information about an attack. I also like its ability to engage its internet "lock", or even cut off all access after a certain amount of time. It also puts unused ports into "stealth" mode. This one is a must for the beginner.

Tiny: Although it doesn't give immediate messages of what it blocks, it still has the ability to log them. This one is good for its customizibility, and rule-setting. It's more flexible about its rules than ZoneAlarm, which only sets rules by program (unless you have ZoneAlarm Pro, which you have to pay for), wheras this one allows you to set rules by port, remote address, protocol, program, the direction of the data, or combinations of them. The only drawback is that the interface isn't as user-friendly, so a beginner may have a little trouble with it.

Cool

Originally posted by stflook

One other firewall I would recommend (assuming you're not running it already) is BlackICE. It's not free, but it's nothing short of great. It has good intrusion detection, and it can tell you about any attack you receive, and even separates them by severity so you can get a better understanding of what's going on. It's rule-setting is just as good as (if not better than) Tiny, and its basic settings are very easy to understand. Trusting, Cautious, Nervous, and Paranoid, and that's it.
    I have never used blackice defender, but I have heard of the developers adding things to the program so as to hide the fact it is vulnerable to Leaktest at grc.com .
    If this is at all true then if your system is infected with sub7 and you have blackice, you are screwed.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Every firewall has holes, but that seems to be a big one. So they're adding things to HIDE that it's vulnerable? Is there a reason they don't just fix it?

Usually,

Cable modem connections are given IP addresses via DHCP,

Having said that, no, no one could find your ip address on ARIN, or if they knew your ip address they would not get any info on you from ARIN.

All ARIN would tell them was who the owner of the netblock in which your IP address resides is.

Code Kiddies will still be able to get your IP address through their usual ways, if you are connected to IRC or ICQ or AIM if you allow a file transfer, and some other ways I cannot remember right now.

With a firewall that information should not help them much, unless they have decided to DoS you... No firewall can prevent that, although some(more corporate than personal firewalls) do a nice job of minimizing the effect. IF your pipe is full, then your pipe is full, no software will change that.

As to firewalls, what are you using?

A firewall such as Tiny Personal Firewall, or ZA pro should be plenty of protection, as long as, you do not allow any service inbound from the whole internet. At least on Tiny Personal Firewall, I can allow services inbound from a specific IP address or range of IP addresses.

You also need to make sure that your virus protection is up to speed, or else the firewall you are running is almost worthless if you execute a virus/trojan you downloaded or recieved in email.

Good luck

IchNiSan

Cool

Originally posted by stflook
    Every firewall has holes, but that seems to be a big one. So they're adding things to HIDE that it's vulnerable? Is there a reason they don't just fix it?
    According to grc.com they didnt fix it on their new version, just masked it so that the user wouldnt know. My question is why not just fix the problem? It is better than letting everyone know that profits are more important than the security of their systems.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

It's nice to see somthing on AO that's not a survey question. Thank you god. Anyone can find your IP address it depends on what programs you use. Or what your doing on the internet, for example a public shell account.

According to grc.com they didnt fix it on their new version, just masked it so that the user wouldnt know. My question is why not just fix the problem? It is better than letting everyone know that profits are more important than the security of their systems.

I feel the same way. But that's all up to the company. The really honest ones do not all vulnerability's are masked over. Posting Vulnerability's never help. In the future hopefully there will be a way to identify who gets to know what, but right now the internet doesn't look like that's going to happen and the spread of information is rampend. One person can teach Millions.

I see.... This is the first I have heard of this. Well, one thing is for sure. I will never go recommending BlackICE again. You'd think a company that markets such a popular product would care about their customer. Then again, Microsoft. I think I'll edit that post now.