Thread: dial up networking

Post dial up networking

I was wondering if it would be possible to set up a computer that uses two phone lines and two modems when available, but would be able to connect with just one if it had to, without disconnecting hardware and making major software changes. This would be some kind of a switch. I have two phone lines but seeing as how I have to use at least one sometimes for calls this would be a nice option. Also I have heard of being able to run 2 modems to increase access speeds but would this require two isp accounts. I live about 2 blocks out from RoadRunner and they dont plan on expanding soon.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

AFAIK windows will let you do this pretty easily, basically all you need are both modems installed (and installed within the Network Properties area) and then when you make a new DUN object within the DUN quasi-folder, you just specify a different modem... As for having them both connected at the same time... I dunno. Never tried that. Windows might only let you have one DUN connection at a time (at least to the 'net). But having two actually *installed* and using one at a time shouldn't be hard, at least.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Binding 2 analogue modem lines, also known as inverse multiplex connections or shotgunning, is quite common. I think it was diamond first started doing it with thier shotgun software. Your isp has to support it though, and having never used it i can't say for sure, but i'd be pretty confident you could have a seperate dun connection that uses just one modem if need be.

Originally posted by petemcevoy
    Binding 2 analogue modem lines, also known as inverse multiplex connections or shotgunning, is quite common.
    That's what i was thinking of saying.

[B I think it was diamond first started doing it with thier shotgun software. [/B]
    Yeah diamond thought of the idea (or at least implemented it) first. However i always thought that you had to have the right hardware for it as well. although this is going a few years back now.....

Your isp has to support it though
    Otherwise you just get the same as 1 connection, for twice the phone call cost.

i'd be pretty confident you could have a seperate dun connection that uses just one modem if need be.
    AFAIK then that should be ok. I think the problem would come if you have a specific shotgun modem, ie with both phone line connections built in, then you might start having the problems.
    There\'s no sense in being Pessimistic...it would never work anyway.

@ my Isp if you have a special ISDN modem (like Diva) you can use to ISDN lines to boost connection speed.

AntiOnline Senior Member
    A pretty good software that I have used is FatPipe.

Windows 2k or XP advanced server supports load balancing over two connections that is incredibly easy to configure. That of course relies on an incredibly expensive OS. Third party software that i've tried to configure to do the same is flakey at best. 3com makes a nice modem with 4 rj-11 jacks that can be configured to appear as one modem to the OS, but you said you needed to only use one connection at times and I'm not sure how well that would work.

Yes actually quite easily ... but i only know this in windows98.
    Called Multi-Link if you goto the properties menu of the DUN connection you can goto the multilink tab and select 'use additional devices' , given that you already have the other modem installed you will be able to select it.
    A+ Cert. Computer Technician