Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CD rom doesnt work

Post CD rom doesnt work

I installed Mandrake a few weeks back, and have had nothing but problems ever since. My modem is a winmodem so I cant connect to the internet, my dual boot loader does not ever want to work right, and now I cant access files on the cdrom drive. I dont understand why linux can play an audio CD just fine, but when I go to /dev/cdrom there is nothing there even though the disc is full of mp3's. I used the utilities to make sure that the cdrom had been installed. What could the problem be? Please dont flame me if I missed something simple after all I am very new to Linux.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Did you mount the cdrom?
    If not try to mount the cdrom with a command similar to this:
    mount -t msdos /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
    of the command does not work read the mount man pages for the command syntax of the mount command for your linux distro.
    After you have mounted the cdrom go to /mnt/cdrom and there should be the content of your cdrom.

Regards
    Bad_Karma

Re: mounting CDROM

Like the man said, be sure you are mounting the CDROM. *nix CD Players do not generally require a mount of /dev/cdrom to listen to audio files. However to read the data on the CD it will need to be mounted.

Not 100% sure how Mandrake sets the permissions on /dev/cdrom by default, but genericly speaking you will need to be root to mount drives or devices. This can be changed of course but for security reasons I don't recommend that you do it.

One of the frustrating things about Linux distro's is that they each have their own ideas about how to setup /etc/fstab.

So try these: (very generic, should cover most /etc/fstab setups)

[root@yourbox:~]# mount /dev/cdrom /cdrom

[root@yourbox:~]# mount /mnt/cdrom

[root@yourbox:~]#mount -t msdos /dev/cdrom /cdrom

( as mentioned above)

[root@yourbox:~]# mount -t cd9660 -ro /dev/cdrom /cdrom

(not very common anymore, and not very likely)
    Know this..., you may not by thyself in pride claim the Mantle of Wizardry; that way lies only Bogosity without End.

Rather must you Become, and Become, and Become, until Hackers respect thy Power, and other Wizards hail thee as a Brother or Sister in Wisdom, and you wake up and realize that the Mantle hath lain unknown upon thy Shoulders since you knew not when.

Well what version of Mandrake are you running? I believe 8.1 does it all automatically.

Exclamation

Is the Linux the only OS you have on your Hard Drive? If you install linux with windows still on your drive I know the problem! Let me know and i will reply back.

Also check to make sure it is mounted first
    [shadow]l3aDmOnKeY[/shadow]

If it is automounted, check the /mnt/cdrom or /mnt/cdrom1 directory. That is where mandrake mounts cdroms. If it isn't mounted already, you may want to mount is with:

mount -t vfat /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

instead of the original suggestion:

mount -t msdos /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

The vfat will let you see the full name of the file, the msdos (or fat) paramaters mount it with the 8.3 file naming convention.

Remember, you have to be root to manually mount drives.

Hope this helps.

Happy Hacking
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Warfare is the Way of deception.
    -Sun Tzu \"The Art of War\"

As far as i can remember, mandrake does supermounting for cdroms, whuch would give you an /etc/fstab like this -
    /mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom 0 0
    /mnt/floppy /mnt/floppy supermount fs=vfat,dev=/dev/fd0 0 0

What are your problems with the boot loader (lilo i assume)? If configured correctly it should give you no problems - its not exactly buggy software.

Re: Re: mounting CDROM

Originally posted by UberC0der

root@yourbox:~]# mount /mnt/cdrom
    This is the one that finally mounted my cdroms. The problem was that after they were mounted all the files on them were visible, but when I tried to eject the CD's, the computer wouldnt let me eject them. I restarted the computer, and took the CD's out, but then all of the sudden it says that access to /mnt/cdrom and /mnt/cdrom2 is denied, even to root. I tried to mount them again, but it says that they are already mounted. What could the problem be?
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

as for winmodem not working under linux, all popular linux distributions now have made available patches that allow you to work with winmodem. I know for RedHat for sure, you can check out Mandrake's website for this.
    Ah well...I\'m back on AntiOnline!

This is the one that finally mounted my cdroms. The problem was that after they were mounted all the files on them were visible, but when I tried to eject the CD's, the computer wouldnt let me eject them. I restarted the computer, and took the CD's out, but then all of the sudden it says that access to /mnt/cdrom and /mnt/cdrom2 is denied, even to root. I tried to mount them again, but it says that they are already mounted. What could the problem be?
    When you manually mount using the "mount" command, it ties up the resource until you manually unmount it using the "umount" command. Try this: When you are ready to eject the cd, type:

umount /mnt/cdrom

NOTE: yes the command is umount, not unmount. Note the lack of an "n" after the first "u"

Hope this helps.

Happy Hacking
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Warfare is the Way of deception.
    -Sun Tzu \"The Art of War\"