Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I run Linux &....

Can I run Linux &....

Windows on the same hard drive? Do I have to create 2 partions? Also can I do it with out remastering my HD?

cheers

Livlee

Yes, you have to install Linux on a different partition than Windows. I don't think there is a way to do it without losing your file system, and therefore, losing your data. One way around it would be to get a different hard drive and install Linux on that.

You can install Linux on the same hard drive as Windows. There are three ways (that I know of).

1) Repartition the hard drive (either with the traditional fdisk command, or a third party utility such as Partition Magic).

2) Install a UMSDOS based distribution such as ZipSlak or Dragon Linux. These will work with Windows, but you have to boot into DOS mode, first.

3) (Expensive way) Purchase VMware and install Linux through a virtual machine. Then you can run Linux and Windows at the same time. (A resource hog).

If you are touchy about re-partitioning, you will probably want to try one of the UMSDOS based distro's first. If you decide you like Linux, you can buy a cheap computer and put a full distribution on it. (Or if you are like some people, you may decide you like Linux better, and just dump Windows. If you do, I suggest you set aside a partition for it in case you ever get homesick for the Blue Screen of Death)

Good luck on you latest journey

Happy Hacking
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Warfare is the Way of deception.
    -Sun Tzu \"The Art of War\"

Ok thx for the info that helped me out.

If you want to play it safe, get powerquest's Partition magic
    Works like a charm and you won't mess up.

Re: Can I run Linux &....

Originally posted by Livlee
    Windows on the same hard drive? Do I have to create 2 partions? Also can I do it with out remastering my HD?

Livlee

As everyone as said yes you can run both OS off the one hard drive (dual booting) There's no need for partition magic, though. Red Hat comes with LILO which will let you partiton your hard drive without losing any data and it's also a nifty little boot manager.

The biggest advantage of LILO over partition magic is that it's free! You can't beat that..

Question Info

Could I please get more info on dual booting windows and linux on the same hard drive?

Thanks.
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

Re: Info

Originally posted by Kezil
    Could I please get more info on dual booting windows and linux on the same hard drive?

Thanks.

http://www.linux.ie/articles/tutorials/dualboot.php

There is a utility included on Red Hat Cdz called fips.. its under DoSUtils... its probably on other distributions as well....
    It allows you to resize /split your partition I believe... you could take a look at that if you need to make some unpartitioned space on your hdd for when you installing linux....
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

As everyone as said yes you can run both OS off the one hard drive (dual booting) There's no need for partition magic, though. Red Hat comes with LILO which will let you partiton your hard drive without losing any data and it's also a nifty little boot manager
    What are you talking about here?