Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Telnet server

Talking Telnet server

Can anyone recommend a (safe) way to set up a Telnet server on one of my machines?

I use quite a few machines at work, and keep a lot of useful files on my machines at home, and it would be really useful to be able to connect to my machines from my workplace. There are a variety of operating systems on the machines at work, so I would like to use Telnet so I can connect to home regardless of which OS I'm using.

I don't however, just want to leave my TCP port 23 open (for obvious reasons).

Can anyone recommend a decent Telnet server-type program which will run under Windows 2000?

Thanks in advance,

K-Line

First of all, telnet is like the total opposite of "secure", you should really search for a ssh server (Secure Shell) which is like telnet but strongly encrypted, authenticated...
    www.ssh.com is the comercial implementation,
    www.openssh.org is the free implementation.
    Howerver, I use openssh on openbsd, and haven't really looked for a free win2k server so perhaps someone else can help on this...

As for multi platform client, I use Mindterm (www.appgate.org) which is a Java client... What's great with it is that I can carry it around in a simple floppy: the jar file (the "executable") takes only ~650KB! So I just pop it in any computer that has a JRE (java runtime environment) and I'm good to go! No install!

Ammo

Unable to delete my double post.. sorry...

ammo's right its not wise to use telnet.

But if you must, win2k comes with a telnet server installed and enabled by default. if you have all band-ads...i mean patches installed its supposed to be fairly secure. (i wouldn't use it)
    it also comes with an ftp server, you can configure the server only to accept connection from your work ip address and disable anonymous logon in ftp.
    I don't know of an os that comes without an ftp/telnet client
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Thumbs up

Thanks, folks.

You've given me some food for thought with your suggestions. I'll have a rethink, and maybe take a closer look at some of your suggestions.

Thanks again,

K-Line.

Telnet is baaad...
    I always search for telnet servers when im trying to hack a network.

If you just want to transfer files and ****, then id recommend FTP
    if you want it to be a bit moe transparent, then dont run it on port 21, or 2121 for that matter. Use somthing crazy, like 54323

telnet is such a security risk...

SSH would be good if that what your looking for.

A good FTP server for windows (in my opinion) is War FTP
    F0 0F C7 C8

Re: Telnet server

Originally posted by K-Line
    Can anyone recommend a (safe) way to set up a Telnet server on one of my machines?
    There isn't really a truely safe way to set up a telnet server on your computer, it's normally really dodgey.

I use quite a few machines at work, and keep a lot of useful files on my machines at home, and it would be really useful to be able to connect to my machines from my workplace. There are a variety of operating systems on the machines at work, so I would like to use Telnet so I can connect to home regardless of which OS I'm using.
    Ftp is probably the safest way to do what you want, or a VPN (virtual private network)

Can anyone recommend a decent Telnet server-type program which will run under Windows 2000?
    Your probably better setting up an FTP server althuogh i strongly suggest that you tie it down as much as you can.
    There\'s no sense in being Pessimistic...it would never work anyway.

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    I strongly agree with what ammo has said :

First of all, telnet is like the total opposite of "secure", you should really search for a ssh server (Secure Shell) which is like telnet but strongly encrypted, authenticated...
    If you have like you said :

I use quite a few machines at work, and keep a lot of useful files on my machines at home, and it would be really useful to be able to connect to my machines from my workplace.
    then telnet is not what you really want. SSH is the better solution (Secure Shell).

Browse through www.webattack.com , they have alot of software, and alot of it is free. Im also sure that google.com will help you alot.

About the ftp...ftp is not very secure either (there are 1 or 2 versions that are pretty tight), so some of the ssh servers support sftp which is encrypted. I hope that this helps you out.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

what's so insecure about telnet ?

Hmmm, telnet is the most silly thing I sow.
    99% of haxors hack over it.
    Why don't you make 21(fttp)?
    THe more stupid thing of telnet is only tftp(69).

Ok, well, I would try to reinstall and then while instaling modifie your box to be server, the safest and maybe not fastest, but it don't fail.

EvidencE
    +++++