Thread: Koffice!

Koffice!

Ok, I have a question about KOFFICE for Linux..
    (I know for sure it comes with redhat distro 7.2)

Can it open m$OFFICE files?

If so what version is it compatible with?

I am seriously looking for an alternative to windows at my work for a whole lot of people... Since Linux is free and KOFFICE is too.. I feel it would be awesome to switch the whole company to linux if it is possible.... think about it.. ITS COST EFFECTIVE..

if it isnt compatible then do u know where i can get a 100% compatible m$office like thing for linux?
    ------------EViLSEED
    Hackers are impervious. Resistant is futile.

EvilSeed.. I don't know about KOffice, but StarOffice by Sun is free also.. I know that it can open Microsoft Office documents to excellent degree of compatibility.

if I remember the url correctly, its www.staroffice.com... but currently the site is down... it states that their main host has been severely damaged... sites should be back up on the 30th of November...

just if your interested in an alternative, incase KOFFICE cannot open MS office documents...
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

not sure about koffice but...

The way to get StarOffice is go to

www.sun.com

near the uper right side of the page there is a link to staroffice.

Talking Re: Koffice!

Originally posted by evilseed
    Ok, I have a question about KOFFICE for Linux..
    (I know for sure it comes with redhat distro 7.2)

Can it open m$OFFICE files?

If so what version is it compatible with?

I am seriously looking for an alternative to windows at my work for a whole lot of people... Since Linux is free and KOFFICE is too.. I feel it would be awesome to switch the whole company to linux if it is possible.... think about it.. ITS COST EFFECTIVE..

if it isnt compatible then do u know where i can get a 100% compatible m$office like thing for linux?
    Ok, here is what I found. I had the Koffice installed at work and it works very well. On it's own anyway, this is where is gets a little weird. It supports all the microsoft word, excel, visio formats, but sometimes it just crashes when opening MS files. It supports most all current and older MS office formats but sometimes, boom...... It doesn't crash the OS, but the app and you have to restart it. I don't know if MS is doing something with their files or if it's just a bug in the conversion process, but it will be something to watch out for. If your company has all these important business templates made, keep some backups just in case. I think MS sometimes has some weird stuff in their office formats that the Koffice just doesn't understand. All in all, I think anyone who has used MS Office will find Koffice just as easy. They just need to get used to saving in their home directory rather than their my documents directory

If you are in the position, find the least technical person and use them as a test subject, hehe See if they can handle it well, do they get lost. If the only thing they do is some word processing, e-mail and internet then KDE has it all covered. I would also recommend upgrading them to Netscape 6.1, gets all the mozilla stuff in their, looks nice

Originally posted by Matty Cross
    EvilSeed.. I don't know about KOffice, but StarOffice by Sun is free also.. I know that it can open Microsoft Office documents to excellent degree of compatibility.

just if your interested in an alternative, incase KOFFICE cannot open MS office documents...

I think that you'll find Star Office (along with Easy Office and 602 pro, which are also Micro$oft compatible) are only FREE for personal use. Im pretty sure that you'll have to pay if your whole company uses these Micro$oft alternatives..

Couldn't each person be using it personally, just happened to all be in the same office