Thread: Very Peculiar

Question Very Peculiar

A very strange thing just happened. I have a cable connection, but did not have IE up. When I moved the mouse (screensaver was up), it went beserk, and tried to open seemingly every menu at once. I could not get the pointer to target anything - the more I moved the mouse - the more menus popped up. I have a firewall, Mcafee, lockdown, jammer, which all came on at once (besides startup, favorites, etc.). All my protection informed me that my screensaver had changed, but it hadn't, visibly. My taskbar changed without my clicking on anything. I finally managed to get the shutdown menu and hit enter. When it rebooted, everything was fine. I did a few virus, worm, trojan, security scan -housecall, McAffee, symatec, etc. Nothing, except for a vulnerability in browser security - but the browser wasn't up.

What the hell happened???

Thanks,
    plantguru

Cool

What the hell happened???
    Windoze, thats what!

Were you using a screen saver you downloaded. Anybody can write a screen saver and a lot of the ones you can download "free" just screw up your computer. most of the rest contain spyware. Save your screen...turn it off.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I've seen that happen before... was it just a random spaz-out of the mouse that happened for about a second or two, right-clicking, left-clicking, opening menus, minimizing, maximizing? I've seen it happen at library computers, etc... It's just windows going bezerk, AFAIK. Be on the lookout for a continued 'snowball effect', where bugs cause more bugs... If it starts to get worse, I would start doing some regular backups if I were you.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency