Thread: Linux/Windows

Linux/Windows

Is it possible to run Linux and Windows on the same machine? I would like to learn Linux but I would also like to keep my Windows OS as I am most familiar with using it. I am asking what I would have to do as far as partitioning my hard drive etc. to run Linux. Any info is really appreciated.
    We Know Who You Are.....

I'm just beginning with Linux, so don't take what I say as the ultimate authoritative word. It's very possible that some of this could be wrong.

Yes, you can run Linux on the same hard drive as Windows, but it won't run on the same partition. I believe Disk Druid, will take care of that without losing data on your drive. I know it comes with Red Hat, but I don't know about any of the other distributions.

If you see this petemcevoy, please take this into heart and know that I AM learning (or at least trying).

I don't know about taking it to heart, but yeah -fair enough.

Hillybilly75 - Start off with some of the friendlier distros like suse/red hat/mandrake, they will take care of the partitioning and just about everything else for you - when you feel a bit more confident with linux you can take the kid gloves off and stick debian on.

btw stflook - why would you want to be where the cheerleaders aren't? are you gay?

Originally posted by petemcevoy
    btw stflook - why would you want to be where the cheerleaders aren't? are you gay?
    That all depends on you, sailor!

Seriously, though, I'm not gay. It's just that the cheerleaders and jocks are very judgemental of people and most think they're god. Why would I want to be around people like that?

There's no need to be coy stflook - its nearly 2002 and gay people are an accepted part of the community now. I'm sure you're not the only gay member.

I am kidding btw

Thank You! Thank You! This info is great! I am now a Happy Hillbilly!!
    We Know Who You Are.....