Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Firewall

What Firewall

"firewalls" as they are known, do not stop machines from getting your information. I guess that's too hard a thing to do. Concidering this why not have them furnish ficticous data? I guess it's too hard. Firewall. Yeh, where can I get two, they work so well.

- Peace -
    . . . the majestic equality of the law, which forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread. - Anatole France

This is a really confusing post. What's being asked? Can firewalls furnish fictiousess data? What? Just get Tiny, Zone Alarm, or Black Ice, and then say something understandable.
    Why am I still here?

AntiOnline Senior Member

Question

What exactly are you trying to say? It seems you are posting a senseless post... It seems you are saying its pointless to get a firewall...

from what i understand of your question, you can get zonealarm at www.zonealarm.com and just search for tiny or black ice at www.download.com

Re: What Firewall

-"firewalls" as they are known, do not stop machines from getting your information.-

Acutually, that's not really the point of a firewall, anyway, but rather to block outside access

- I guess that's too hard a thing to do. Concidering this why not have them furnish ficticous data?-

ever tried to ping your actual ip (not the firewall mask) while behind a firewall?

Anyways, i think that you may be concerned about cookies, spyware, and the like...if so there are plenty of programs out there (freeware, even ) that can take care of a lot of that.
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, so here is a quote from me from a previous thread about firewalls. Hopefully, it goes along with what you're talking about. With even more luck, somebody will find this useful.

Originally posted by stflook
    This has been posted about 1,000,000 times before, so this would make about 1,000,001, but I guess I can say this again.

ZoneAlarm: I like this firewall for its ease of use. The fact that it puts unused ports into "stealth" mode is also a wonderful feature. I also like its ability to engage its internet "lock", or cut off all activity either manually or by a time limit. This is a great feature to protect an unattended box. Its interface is very user-friendly. Another feature that's nice about it is that it can bring up pop-up windows if it blocks some kind of traffic, so you know immediately if somebody is attacking you or if you need to change your configuration. It can also give information on the traffic it blocked so you can see if it was indeed an attack, and the severity of it. This firewall is great for beginners or people too lazy to take the time to configure a firewall properly.

Tiny: This firewall is good for its configurability. It allows you to set rules based on protocol, port, remote address, program, and direction of the traffic. ZoneAlarm only goes by program unless you get ZoneAlarm Pro, which isn't free. I also like the fact that it asks you about every single connection until you set a rule, while ZoneAlarm, once again, goes only by program. The only downside is that its interface isn't as user friendly as ZoneAlarm's. This firewall is good for intermediate to advanced users and/or those who just need more control than ZoneAlarm can provide.

Another good (but not free) firewall is BlackICE. Its basic configuration is easy for beginners; trusting, cautious, nervous, and paranoid. That's it. For the more advanced users (or those who need more control), there is custom rule setting which is very similar to that of Tiny. It has similar alert capabilities to ZoneAlarm, except that it uses audible alerts instead of pop-ups. It displays all your attacks and even shows right there how severe it was, and you can even get information on the attack and can block the intruder for a set amount of time, or forever. This one seems to combine the best of Tiny and ZoneAlarm. I would use separate trojan protection if I used this one, though.

Re: Re: What Firewall

" the question is obfuscated.clarify clarify."

I'll try. I see a firewall as a blocking device between another machine and any information on mine. I mean that's pretty much what I read. Now with any (?) firewall running a server will still querry my machine as to it's OS, browser, screen resilution, color depth ect. . You've all read the same too and probably gone to some site's page that specializes in showing you this information. A firewall will not block this from happening.

Since a server *is* going to get the information it requests, why can I not supply the little snoop with ~any~ information I want?

As I think a lot of you know you need "special" software to see anything about a server. But the server is loggin' all of us, all the time.

I wish firewalls offered me protection from snoops with logs.

Question Hmm...

Isn't this kind of like saying I shouldn't bother locking my car because people can still see what's inside and just break the window to get at it?

I firmly believe that a false sense of security is worse than no security at all, but a properly configured firewall keeps out the bulk of "punks" trying to find a way into your computer.

If you want to take it a step further and keep a little anonymity, try Norton personal firewall. While it does have a certain amount of idiot-proofing built in, it's pretty flexible and allows for quite a bit of customization. What makes it nice is that it has some things built in that help keep an eye on privacy. I'm not sure what anyone else thinks of it, but I think it's a quality product.
    Some people have a way with words, while others...erm...thingy.

Post linux firewall

On a similar note I began using Mandrake linux 8.1 recently, and was curious as to how well the firewall that is provided with it works. Also are there any other good firewall products out there for the linux OS?
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19