Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Websense URL filtering

Question Websense URL filtering

Hi there, this is my second post and in fact this question is the reason I became a member at this forum. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, if I'm in the wrong section off this forum please tell me.

Where I work we have a Microsoft Proxy server 2.0 and a Cisco Pix 515 firewall together with a 2Mbit connection to the internet.

Since a few weeks they installed the URL filtering application Websense. http://www.websense.com

The problem now is that I can't visit all the sites I want, they blocked MP3 and X rated sites. I really don't care about that kind off sites, the problem is they also blocked the gaming and vacation sites. And that is a problem IMO

Does anyone in this forum have any experience with Websense and then in particuler getting by websense. I realy want to visit the sites I want.

Thanks in advance for your response....

Crazy Bill

I have spoken again

have you tried using www.safeweb.com as an alternative gateway to the forbidden sites?

J.

You could try visiting the sites through http://www.anonymizer.com/ or cDc have an app called triangle boy that may help. A more realistic suggestion would be to forget about browsing websites on company time and do it on your own time.

Arrow

Originally posted by petemcevoy
    A more realistic suggestion would be to forget about browsing websites on company time and do it on your own time.
    That would be an option if I had a PC at home, but my house is currently to small for a PC. Maybe next year when I'm living a little bit bigger than I am doing now.

I tried both URL's but both are blocked by websense

I have spoken again

it looks like you going to have to resort to surfing in a cafe instead, as your in the Netherlands that could be kinda cool have a coffee & smoke at the same time (just don't forget what you were looking for in the first place)

Jamie.

Come on guys, you are the experts here, it can't be waterproof

I have spoken again

Crazy Bill.. I doubt that it is waterproof.... but if people don't know, they don't know....

Any way of bypassing it would most likely be detectable, and could end up getting you fired....

I'd take petemcevoy's suggestion and do it on your own time....
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

I don't think they would fire me because off checking out a few websites, there not that strickt.

Come on man, you guys talk about hacking, cracking and other illegal stuf. And you are telling me what to do in my boss his time? Come on, I know it is not the smartest thing to do. Just let me deside what's best for me

I have spoken again

Crazy, I doubt that they would fire you for looking at a few websites..

But putting their entire network and possibly business at risk by circumventing some measure that they've established.. thats a different matter...

Lets imagine a scenario.. you get your way and get by the system, say by disabling something that is required for it to work....
    decide to visit a website, and oh dear! someone's been nasty and coded some nasty virus deployment into the page...
    rather nasty virus.. trashes your computer... not before propagating itself throughout the network, through your email...

so not only are your collegeues systems damaged, you've also got a lot of angry clients going, "I got this email from you, opened it and the whole office network went down.... please explain"

May sound far fetched to you, but there is not technological reason why it couldn't happen...

And now my major point..
    AntiOnline is a security website.. here people discuss security, aka protection for systems...

I'm unsure of where that crosses the line and becomes illegal.... care to explain??
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Originally posted by Crazy bill
    I don't think they would fire me because off checking out a few websites, there not that strickt.
    maybe not, try entering the url you want in google and then selecting googles cached version of the page, i don't have experience with the program you are talking about, but it works at the college that i go to.

Originally posted by Crazy bill
    Come on man, you guys talk about hacking, cracking and other illegal stuf.
    No, you got the wrong idea of the site, its not for illegal stuff, its for stopping illegal stuff.
    There\'s no sense in being Pessimistic...it would never work anyway.