Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sucuring win2k network

Sucuring win2k network

This is my first post in these forums....

I'm currently working on a corporate project that involves setting up the hosting of our web site in our offices. I'm not a MSFT sys admin (i rather prefer development, but how can I explain this to my boss Mr. "let cut down the budget"?), so regarding issues like security and performance I feel kind of lost. I have some concerns, and i'd be glad if any one can help me here.

1.- Where can I find guides or checklist that help me to make a secure win 2k server installation?. I've found some at microsoft website, but I'd prefer other sources to get objectives recommendations. I found a couple that talk exclusive about securing IIS 5, and they are usefull. ¿Any body knows if out there exist some like that for SQL server boxes?.

2.- I've been investigating about IPsec. I'm still not sure what the hell it is but, is it worthy to continue the research?

3.- Finally, I'm thinking to use a linux box to Firewall and NAT (masquerading) services.... anybody can recommend source information to setup a Red Hat 7.1 box to acomplish that?

BTW, if you see any misspelled word in my post it's just because I'm from Venezuela... thank you guys
    Reality.sys is corrupted
    Restart the universe? y/n

securing win2k

The NSA website has some decent documentation on how to secure W2K, or rather, some guidelines for running secure win2k.

either browse from

www.nsa.gov or go to

http://nsa1.<a rel="nofollow" href="...nxion.com/</a>

********Edit, GRRRR, this board keeps putting new characters in that last url.....

I'm sure I dont need to say this, but I will anyway...

The documents are pdf's so you will need Adobe Acrobat REader...

I would check out the NT faq
    www.ntfaq.com

it has a great forum and covers everything from M$

Why doesn't Mr. "lets cut down the budget" get rid of high Microsoft liscense fees and install some flavor of linux.

syxx@attrition.org

Already stuck

our app is a ASP / DLL / MSSQL web site... We are planning an enviroment with 8 boxes, but 6 must be MS boxes (3 webs, 2 sql and 1 AD Domain controller).we can cut just in the file server and firewall.....
    Reality.sys is corrupted
    Restart the universe? y/n

The best site forr IIS is www.iisfaq.com, and it includes lots of suff on securing them.

simplify your life and take a look at ISA server. If you install linux firewall all the windows folks you work with are going to get really p*ss3d at you, 'cause they can't work it, thats what happened where i work anyway.

Microsoft's site has TONS of guides to help secure your Win 2k environment. Microsoft Security

Also they have a securtity toolkit that they will mail to you, free of charge!

simplify your life and take a look at ISA server
    I agree, i have set up an ISA Server box at work, and its working just fine ( at least for now ) I'm using it as Web cache / Firewall / Web Proxy.

In terms of security we have a cisco 2600 for connecting to the internet at a 256Kbs ( Frame Relay ), connected directly at the ISA Server, so we have 2 levels of protection that way.

A great place to look for information about ISA Server is www.isaserver.org. For me was a great help.

For securing your windows servers use this tool. It downloads a xml file from microsoft and checks your system for available updates. The good thing is that you can run it to test all machines on your network( this saves a lot of trouble ), as long as you have administrator access. W2K/NT(/XP?) only.

Hope I could help.

Re: Sucuring win2k network

Originally posted by estebanf
    3.- Finally, I'm thinking to use a linux box to Firewall and NAT (masquerading) services.... anybody can recommend source information to setup a Red Hat 7.1 box to acomplish that?
    http://www.linuxdoc.org/

You'll find anything you need there!
    Pr3shuR
    ----------
    always