Thread: 20 486 CPUs

20 486 CPUs

A friend of mine has access to about 20 486 CPUs . We're talking about trying to build a cluster with them, but the power consumption would really suck for the little proccessing power we would get out of them. If we built 10 dual proccessor boxes out of the 20 CPUs, could we somehow run it off of a few power supplies instead of 10 power supplies to save on power? Also, do you think this would be worth it?
    “People don’t talk about anything.” [Clarisse]
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]
    “No, not anything. They name a lot of cars or clothes or swimming pools mostly and say how swell! But they all say the same things and nobody says anything different from anyone else. And most of the time in the cafes they have the joke-boxes on and the same jokes most of the time, or the musical wall lit and all the colored patterns running up and down, but it’s only color and all abstract. And at the museums, have you ever been? All abstract. That\'s all there is now...\"
    -A conversation with Clarrise McClellan and Guy Montag from Fahrenheit 451

If we built 10 dual proccessor boxes out of the 20 CPUs, could we somehow run it off of a few power supplies instead of 10 power supplies to save on power?
    I think that they are only built to run one motherboard at a time. If you do you probably would have to splice the power conector that goes into the mother board and add another connecter to runn to the other motherboard. It might work but the only way to find out is to try it. What do you plan on running with these boxes?
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

i plan on running a linux os, probably redhat 7.1...........
    “People don’t talk about anything.” [Clarisse]
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]
    “No, not anything. They name a lot of cars or clothes or swimming pools mostly and say how swell! But they all say the same things and nobody says anything different from anyone else. And most of the time in the cafes they have the joke-boxes on and the same jokes most of the time, or the musical wall lit and all the colored patterns running up and down, but it’s only color and all abstract. And at the museums, have you ever been? All abstract. That\'s all there is now...\"
    -A conversation with Clarrise McClellan and Guy Montag from Fahrenheit 451

To build 10 dual processor systems, you would need access to 10 dual socket motherboards, and the chips would have to be dual processor capable, afaik _some_ 486/50's were dual and even quad capable - but i'm not sure exactly which ones, and you would probably have a hell of a job getting the motherboards.
    I seem to remember 2 russian brothers strung a load of intel chips together using parallel passing architecture to calculate pi to so many numbers, i think they spent about $70,000 to get 2 gigaflops, maybe you could try something like that ;-)