Thread: Zipslack

Question Zipslack

Is there a way of installing a GUI (such as KDE or Gnome) for zipslack? If so, how is it done?

I'm making assumptions about you...
    1) you are new to linux

2) you've never played with X unless it was from a distro that automagically boots X

Before you try to install anything, bood ZipSlak and login. After logging in, type "startx". If nothing happens, or you get an error that it isn't there, or it says it needs to be configured first, then do one of the following:
    If it isn't there, go download xfree86 from xfree86.org .
    If it gives you an error about not being configured, type "xf86config" or "XF86Setup" (for X versions 3.3.6 and older) or "XFree86 -configure" (for X versions 4.0.x and up)

You should be root to set it up, but you should be able to run it as any user.

You will also want to install KDE or GNOME or a simple window manager (IceWM, Enlightenment, etc...).

If you install GNOME, I recommend you use SawFish as the underlying window manager as it is more robust as an integrated WM for GNOME than Enlightenment is.

Good luck.

Happy Hacking
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Warfare is the Way of deception.
    -Sun Tzu \"The Art of War\"

Talking

You're right! I'm very new to Linux...

Typing startx has no affect so Im assuming that X isn't installed. I've already been to Xfree86.org but I can't even find xfree86 at the site. I know, Im hopeless!

Anyway, thanks for replying and I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually...

Hey thats cool that your new too linux we've all got to start somewere right? but in regards to your question did you try there ftp site?? you might have better luck there

Unix,live free or die

Well i was looking on there sight and here is the exact address
    http://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/