Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nosey Windows Programs

If you are using defrag for windows 2000, you have to remember that you can defrag remote partitions over network. I don't know why it would ping another computer, but I'm positive it has some network code in it for remote administration of this type. I've never tried it myself, but I do remember it being there in the manager menu to defrag remote computers from a server.

Hope that helps

Lightbulb

Ok, just checked it's part of the "Microsoft Management Console" to defrag over computers over the network. Hmm, this may make my job easier will give this a try at work

I always find refences to windowsupdate in squid (my web cache), and i'm damn sure i hadn't used windows update in a while, or at all for that matter as windows update is always a week behind with essential patches, but i digress - windows does seem to "phoning home" from time to time - not sure why.

Originally posted by petemcevoy
    I always find refences to windowsupdate in squid <snip> windows does seem to "phoning home" from time to time - not sure why.
    Uninstall the Windows Critical Update Notification I had the same thing (before I used squid) and only found it with tcpdump.

J.

Thanks for the tip jcdux, but it doesn't seem to be installed - maybe its my defragger ;-)

Well, I never did install that critical update doodad for precisely that reason... I don't trust them, I'll patch it all when I'm good and ready! Well, This is in Windows 98... At any rate, I just found it an odd thing for them to think of. As for Microsoft Management Console, Is that for 9x or NT/2000? The originating program was the actual defrag.exe program... (Unless someone is using an extremely creative and foolish implementation of TooLeaky or something )
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency