Thread: Dhcp

Cool Dhcp

How can I set up a DHCP server for my network.

I have 2 Win98 machines, 1 WinXP and 1 Linux (Mandrake 7.1)

They all have manually-configured 10.0.0.x IP addresses, but if I add more computers or stuff I want them to all just... work.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

OK. Thanks.

Are there many advantages of using DHCP over manual configuration? Apart from not having to set an IP address, what else does it help with?
    (The Lord Of The Rings)

DHCP has several major advantages over manual configurations. Each computer gets its configuration from a "pool" of available numbers automatically for a specific time period (called a leasing period), meaning no wasted numbers. When a computer has finished with the address, it is released for another computer to use. Configuration information can be administered from a single point. Major network resource changes (e.g. a router changing address), requires only the DHCP server be updated with the new information, rather than every system.

Kool, I'll set up DHCP next weekend (I won't have time before then, too many computers to repair for other people... its annoying, sometimes, this knowing stuff about computers, you get people asking you to sort out their problems as if your computers all work fine [actually mine do work fine at the moment, but i'm sure I'll ***** one of em up soon!]).
    (The Lord Of The Rings)

Question

Hiw many no. of ip address we can give in Pool ?/

Be Cool ..

You can put a whole dang lot, if you have an internal network. For instance, AFAIK the 90.x.x.x and the 10.x.x.x (and a few other) groups of IP addresses are reserved for internal networks, so you could theoretically have a TON.

I would say, though, that if you have less than ten IP-recieving devices, and most of them don't move around, that it might just be easier assigning them manually.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Originally posted by Rewandythal
    Kool, I'll set up DHCP next weekend (I won't have time before then, too many computers to repair for other people... its annoying, sometimes, this knowing stuff about computers, you get people asking you to sort out their problems as if your computers all work fine [actually mine do work fine at the moment, but i'm sure I'll ***** one of em up soon!]).

You are not alone, look @ me I spend all day fixing my friends/boss/ boss's brats/co-workers boxes and I don't have time to maintain my own.
    My other geeky friends complain about the same ****.