Thread: backdoor access....that's not it either guys!

Question backdoor access....that's not it either guys!

If I leave my laptop somewhere to be worked on, what do I need to check for to make sure noone has tried to setup my laptop for backdoor access while I am connected to the net without my knowledge???

easy, if it's wintel NT your running lock the computer, or have a screensaver with password run when afk. They won't be able to mess with it. Unless it's remote they wanna handle it and you don't have any security running like antivirus/firewall.

i can't exactly do that if i want them to install a program on it?

Assuming you are running Windows of some type.

There is a program called "The Cleaner"
    which scans your machine for trojans.

I would use that, and also(assuming you have a firewall installed) make a snapshot of the rules which are in place before the laptop goes for service, and make sure they are the same when it comes back.

Alternatively, uninstall your firewall before service, and reinstall after service, and pay close attention to what applications it prompts you to allow access to the internet.

Those 2 should keep you fairly safe in your situation. Also, make sure you virus scanner is up to date and scan immediatly after you get your machine back.

check what configuration files have been changed. e.g. go into the windows dir and try 'dir /od' which sorts it out by the modification date. just note that some virii can probably make changes to files without affecting this date.
    \"If you wish to speak to technical support, please hang up now.\"

*click*

Re: backdoor access....that's not it either guys!

Originally posted by cheez_cake
    If I leave my laptop somewhere to be worked on, what do I need to check for to make sure noone has tried to setup my laptop for backdoor access while I am connected to the net without my knowledge???
    Okay... first of all, you posted in the wrong forum. But otherwise... for win 9x machines, I would highly recommend Deep Freeze. It's basically a program you can install, and you can configure your computer in such a way that, without a password, no changes made to it are permanent. Wouldn't that be nice?
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency