Thread: home LAN

home LAN

I'm trying to connect my win2k laptop to my winme desktop, and I'm having significant difficulty. I'm in a time crunch and can't really mess with it for too long, so anyone care to walk me through it?
    LostEnder
    Has it ever occured to you that there is a difference between having an open mind and having holes in one\'s head?

Smile Re: home LAN

Originally posted by LostEnder
    I'm trying to connect my win2k laptop to my winme desktop, and I'm having significant difficulty. I'm in a time crunch and can't really mess with it for too long, so anyone care to walk me through it?
    LostEnder
    Ok, let's see... Make Sure they are both the same workgroup. Then go to your WIN ME system, go to Network propertys and Check for Protocalls Such as NetBIOS, and add TCP\IP and IPS\SPX while your at it. Then you can also add File and printer sharing incase you want to move files from one computer to another. You can then on both systems Configure teh Protocalls to work together, such as setting the network speed, and that is about it. Hope that helps any.
    Everyone has to start somewhere and we all start at the bottom - FeN-i-X

Um, do you have a hub? prolly a dumb question, but if you dont, the rest of this is worthless to you.

make sure both machines are in the same "workgroup" (right click on My Computer, and select properties, go to the Network ID tab)

also, make sure that netbios is bound to your network adapters. enable file and printer sharing, (right click on My Network Places for win2k, same I think for ME, but might be network neighborhood, select properties. in win2k, right click on network adapter listed in window that pops up, select properties again. Might be the same for ME, but Im juist not sure.)

Make sure that both machines have an IP address(TCP/IP properties, under network properties) in the same address range, i.e.

and

and the same subnet mask, in this case

That should do it. With a reboot.

If not, search on both mahcines for a file called hosts (no file extension) on ME enter in the host file

IP address hostname

so for example,

192.168.1.20 nameofwin2kmachine

save the file, do the oposite for the win2k machine.

reboot if nescessary.

Good luck

First off, if you don't have a hub or switch, it's probably going to be harder for you. If you want to do it with just a single direct cable, I think you need to use a crossover cable, but I could be wrong. I'm going to assume you have the necessary hardware. If you don't, you need a hub/switch, 2 ethernet cables (unless you're doing wireless), and an adapter for your laptop if it doesn't have an ethernet port.

First thing you need to do is plug everything in (duh). Now, you need to go into the properties for the network adapters, and make sure file and printer sharing is enabled, netBIOS is enabled, and each machine has a TCP/IP address. If not, you need to add the TCP/IP protocol, and assign an address to it. I'm assuming that you're going to do a static network, seeing as you have said nothing about a DHCP server of any kind. Your addresses should look something like 192.168.1.X Your subnet mask will be 255.255.255.0 You don't have to worry about the default gateway unless you plan on connecting your network to the internet. You should assign your machines 2 and 3, in case you ever decide to add a router in the mix (routers are typically assigned 1, and it saves headache if you don't have to change it). You don't necessarily have to network them with the TCP/IP protocol, but I think it's the easiest to deal with.

Now, go to My Computer, and decide what drives on each computer you want to share. If you have file and printer sharing enabled, there should be a sharing option that comes up when you right-click the drive. When you get into that, just select the drive as shared and remember the share name. Since you're just doing a simple network of your 2 computers, you shouldn't need to monkey with any of that.

If you right-click on either My Computer or Network Neighborhood and go to Properties, there should be some way you can set your network identification. Select a computer name, and a workgroup name (NOT domain). The workgroup name has to match on both computers, but the computer name cannot.

When you're done with all that, reboot both machines and see if thay can talk to each other. Try to map a drive from one to the other. This can be done by right-clicking on Network Neighborhood, and selecting Map Network Drive. You will probably want to use the browse feature, as I can't tell you how to type your share names unless I know the name of the computer name and share name. If you didn't monkey with your share names, it will look something like \\computername\C$. The C is the name of the drive you shared, so the default share name for your D drive would be D$. If you can't map a network drive, try pinging the other machine. If it won't ping, it's probably a problem with the TCP/IP protocol on one of the machines. Try pinging yourself. If it doesn't work, then the problem is on your machine. Double check your TCP/IP settings. It would be best to do the same on the other machine as well.

May I suggest http://www.practicallynetworked.com/index.htm , they have all kinds of How-To's on networking. Some good reading too.

Hey, thanks a lot for the help, it turned out that they were just on different workgroups.

LostEnder
    Has it ever occured to you that there is a difference between having an open mind and having holes in one\'s head?